Friday Night Cake Club For 02/08/19

Decorating By kstevens Updated 1 May 2019 , 3:17am by Evy911

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 2:28am
post #1 of 19

Opening up another session of FNCC!  Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

Sorry that I missed last week everyone.  I ended up with a really bad cold/flu and slept almost the entire weekend!  I don't think I've ever slept that much at once.  

Last week I made a simple little cake to celebrate a couple belated birthdays at work and it was very well received.  It was a chocolate stout cake with espresso SMBC and decorated it with chocolate curls and chocolate covered coffee beans.

I also made a Toothless cake which kept me up late a couple nights and is probably why I ended up sick.  It was my 5th year making Ewan's birthday cake and I think each year they get a little more challenging.  I was really happy with how he turned out and so was the birthday boy's family ☺.

This year I am taking part in Bake Sales for Wagging Tails, a fundraiser for the Nova Scotia SPCA, and this week I made some cupcakes to sell as my first bake sale towards it.  They went over really well and I am now halfway to my fundraising goal.

Looking forward to seeing what you have all been up to.

Kelly

18 replies
kstevens Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 2:29am
post #2 of 19

kstevens Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 2:30am
post #3 of 19

kstevens Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 2:32am
post #4 of 19

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 3:39am
post #5 of 19

Just finished this thing-praying nothing falls off before delivery tomorrow :) And this lady refused to pay the delivery charge even though she lives 30 miles away. I have a hard time handing my cakes over for pick-up after days of hard work only to be a ball of anxiety wondering if the cake made it through their car ride!!!Friday Night Cake Club For 02/08/19Friday Night Cake Club For 02/08/19Friday Night Cake Club For 02/08/19

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 3:44am
post #6 of 19

Friday Night Cake Club For 02/08/19@kstevens I realy hope you're feeling better. Your chocolate espresso cake looks so delicious and your dragon is flawless! I wich I could buy a couple of your cupcake, yumm!

No cake for me this week, but I'll post my last week project. This is a double chocolate cake for my niece's 10th birthday. White chocolate ganache is a bit trickier than dark chocolate...  My drip seems to be way to runny as it went everywhere, but in the mean time my ganache appears to be to stiff to spread evenly on the top of the cake. Do not know what I did wrong!

Laetia Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 3:48am
post #7 of 19

@MerMadeBakedGoods your cake turned out to be lovely. I love all the animal print on the name. 

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 4:03am
post #8 of 19

Ha! Laetia I was just going to say I love YOUR letters! Do you use special fondant cutters?

Laetia Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 1:23pm
post #9 of 19

@MerMadeBakedGoods  I've used the funky tappits lower caps letter cutter. I own this thing for 3 years... first time using it! 

Laetia Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 19

Oups... Lowercase not lower cap! Cannot edit

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 4:42pm
post #11 of 19

Mermade- I know what you mean! I always make sure the customer knows that once it leaves my hands THEY are responsible for the cake.  

It was my daughters birthday a last week. I made cupcakes for her class. Friday Night Cake Club For 02/08/19

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 7:14pm
post #12 of 19

All the work is so extra well done and great.  Keep up the good work everybody!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 12:31am
post #13 of 19

As always everyone did a great job. I especially like the Toothless cake. Kelly you did an amazing job. Glad you are feeling better.

i finished a baby shower cake this morning. I made the Fox out of clay so she could keep it. I found a tutorial on line by Crumb Avenue on Pinterest. Not sure about the cake the girl I made it for sent me a picture.

Laetia Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 2:05pm
post #14 of 19

@thecanadian160 happy birthday to your daughter! Those kids at school are very lucky.

@Marian64 lovely cake, your fox is adorable!

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 12 Feb 2019 , 11:31am
post #15 of 19

Great cakes everybody!

I love the waterfall/jungle one, it is a story-telling kind. But I would not short myself on the delivery charge! I do not like handing over cakes either, but 30 miles is ways to go... Takes time, gas, and effort. Either sign a release form at pick up - agreeing that the cake was received in perfect conditions, and it is up to the client now to drive it carefully and assemble if needed at the spot, or pay for delivery, I say... 

I didn't do much but pricing some orders, and doing this one for when my husband asked me if I could pull something out of my... thin air... for his office mates double-birthday.  I've been meaning to try something to visualize the process for myself, so I slapped this one together. Not my best work, but this was freehanded-ballparking, with no sketch, etc. Just to see what it would look like, and get a feel for the process.    

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 12 Feb 2019 , 1:12pm
post #16 of 19

That’s beautiful Lelekbolek!

And thanks for the advice on delivery. I should definitely have some sort of release form. Do you have one? I’d love to get some advice on what it should look like. I also need to be tougher about it... I’ve even handed a cake over in a parking lot because someone didn’t want to pay a delivery fee and that was as far as I could get within my 10 mile free delivery radius. Ridiculous, I know.

Inreally  appreciate all of this advice - it’s helping me mature exponentially as a  baker, both as a creator and business person!

Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 12 Feb 2019 , 8:24pm
post #17 of 19

I love your Toothless. I made one for my granddaughter.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 13 Feb 2019 , 12:05am
post #18 of 19

Toothless looks fantastic!! My nieces are really loving Toothless at the moment. I'm tempted to show them your cake, but then I know what I'm going to get asked for next birthday!!   :)

Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 1 May 2019 , 3:17am
post #19 of 19

Your Toothless looks great. I have a 6 yr old granddaughter who is crazy about Toothless. I’ve made her a toothless cake, a toothless hooded Afghan and a stuffed toothless toy. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%