Cupcake Woes

Baking By Jessica32 Updated 11 Feb 2019 , 11:58pm by kakeladi

Jessica32 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessica32 Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 2:19am
post #1 of 16

I mostly bake cupcakes within my small home bakery. I use box cake mixes and then make homemade frosting. People just rave about the cupcakes, so I really have no intention on baking the cupcakes from scratch. I'm happy with creating my own frostings. Anyway... I use Pillsbury cake mixes, white and dark chocolate. The chocolate has always risen much better than the white, I can normally get 24 cupcakes from a box..maybe 23 if I want them to be exceptionally perfect. The white does not raise the same, I can normally get 21-22 cupcakes from a box and they're still much smaller than the chocolate. I recently tried putting 2 tablespoons of meringue powder in the white cake mix and it has worked fantastic! I finally got 24 cupcakes from a box. I thought my problems had been solved. But now the liners don't peel off easily and a large part of the cupcake is sticking to the paper. I am so sad. I'd love to continue to use the meringue powder, especially when I need 2 dozen and won't have to make an additional box for 3 cupcakes, but I absolutely can't have my cupcakes stick to the liner. I've done some more research and want to experiment before I give up. I read that I could spray the liners after putting them in the pan with non stick spray..but am curious if that leaves the tops and bottoms of the liners with a greasy look? I also read I could put a pan of water in the oven to cook with the cupcakes. Then I read if the cupcake sticks that it just means you're baking too long..my time hadn't changed since before trying meringue powder.

Has anyone had this problem? What's the best way to fix it?

Also, just curious.. how many bakers use box cake mixes?

15 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 2:27am
post #2 of 16

I used mixes esp for white cake -- curious problem -- the first thing I thought of is using a little more water or oil -- but all you really have to do is add more cake mix -- keep one box as your "additive" box -- it will last for  a year no worries -- just keep it  well sealed 

Jessica32 Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 2:35am
post #3 of 16

That's an interesting idea... So you whip up one box mix according to the directions and then add how much more cake mix? Do you add a little any additional water or oil?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 3:55am
post #4 of 16

You could use the “original “wASC recipe    You would get up to 36 from one box of mix  or you could fz the extra batter 

kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 3:56am
post #5 of 16

Or fz extra cupcakes

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 5:58am
post #6 of 16

With these smaller 15 oz. Box mixes I add 1/4 cup P flour, 1/4 cup gran sugar, 1/4 cup sour cream full fat & get 24 + beautiful cupcakes.

Any brand, any flavor.    Or

Buy 6 boxes of mixes, divide 1 box into 5   ziplock 3 oz.baggies & put 1 bag into each 15 oz. Box for a full 18 oz..

kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 6:14pm
post #7 of 16

...........Buy 6 boxes of mixes, divide 1 box into 5   ziplock 3 oz.baggies & put 1 bag into each 15 oz. Box for a full 18 oz..............

Great idea!! Perfect way to handle it :)

MBalaska Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 3:35am
post #8 of 16

it works perfectly for getting a full batch of 24 cupcakes.  also if you use a plain white or vanilla box mix for your division you can add it to any flavor box and it won't change the flavor at all.

kakeladi Posted 9 Feb 2019 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 16

Wonderful ideas MBalaska.  Thanks for all the sharring you do - especially this :)

MBalaska Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 12:56am
post #10 of 16

you're very kind kakeladi.  There has been so little time for me to play on the cake websites, or do much baking & candy making since moving to Florida.

Cupcakes & Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting is one of the few quick things I have been able to make for my new neighbors. 

Jessica32 Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 3:47am
post #11 of 16

This is really fantastic, thank you SO SO much for sharing. I can't wait to try adding 3 oz additional cake mix... I just want to be sure though, I don't add any additional liquids? I just follow the box instructions (for white: 4 egg whites, 1 1/4 cup water, 1/2 cup oil) and add 3 more oz from a separate box mix? No other adjustments made? Does it stay as moist?

-K8memphis Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 6:37pm
post #12 of 16

the white says a half cup of oil? what brand?

Jessica32 Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 9:48pm
post #13 of 16

Yep, Pillsbury.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 12:20am
post #14 of 16

seems like a lot -- but idk

MBalaska Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 6:00am
post #15 of 16

No other adjustment is needed, either for a regular box mix, or the WASC recipe.

kakeladi Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 11:58pm
post #16 of 16

............. I just want to be sure though, I don't add any additional liquids? I just follow the box instructions ..............

May I suggest you use this recipe for ALL you cakes?:   It is a very tried and true recipe that is used by (I dare say) 1,000s of decorators around the world:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%