Type Of Buttercream To Use

Decorating By Dabest Updated 8 Feb 2019 , 6:12pm by kakeladi

Dabest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dabest Posted 6 Feb 2019 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 15

I have a wedding cake due saturday and am wanting input on the type of buttercream to use.  The cake will be white with red buttercream accents. I love the taste and texture of the smbc, but don't want to create a bleeding problem and am afraid that the smbc will be too soft to hold the stiffer icing i'm using for the rosettes. Was planning on using a crusting buttercream for the accents. I may just be overthinking this too.  Thanks in advance!

14 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Feb 2019 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 15

I suggest you use the 2of everything recipe  Sorry I can’t give you the link but it’s in the recipe section. I have used it for years.It’s not as buttery but it’s easy to use and tastes great I used it for many years 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Feb 2019 , 7:50pm
post #3 of 15

you can't beat all american buttercream made with real butter and cream -- if you have any white balsamic vinegar it takes the edge off the sweetness -- comes out like faux cream cheese -- but even not -- I love a good ole' regular american buttercream

kakeladi Posted 6 Feb 2019 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 15

Here's the link to the recipe "2 of everything" :  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing 

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 4:44am
post #5 of 15

You could always just ask the customer! I’ve been transitioning into using all Swiss meringue buttercream, myself.  But I still ask!

Dabest Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 1:05pm
post #6 of 15

Thank you all for the suggestions! 

-K8memphis Posted 7 Feb 2019 , 2:45pm
post #7 of 15

+1

Dabest Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 2:34am
post #8 of 15

Thank you for suggesting this recipe! I just made 2 recipes of this,  but it has a "grainy" texture.  Is it supposed to be that way or did I do something wrong? If this has happened to you,  do you know of something I can do to fix it? Not wanting to throw out and start over. 

kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 4:02am
post #9 of 15

Are you saying you used the 2of  everything recipe and it was grainy  No it should not be grainy  Did you followe the beating instructons 

Dabest Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 4:34am
post #10 of 15

To the letter.  I may have beat a little longer than was necessary.  I'm getting nervous lol

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 15

is your powdered sugar cane sugar? if it doesn't say cane sugar I don't buy it

Dabest Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 3:16pm
post #12 of 15

Yes it is.  I may just be used to the texture of smbc. I thought it would look smooth and it looks grainy.  It also won't hold up anything I pipe on to it,  borders etc. Would it be ok to add more powdered sugar to stiffen it a bit?

Dabest Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 3:16pm
post #13 of 15

Yes it is.  I may just be used to the texture of smbc. I thought it would look smooth and it looks grainy.  It also won't hold up anything I pipe on to it,  borders etc. Would it be ok to add more powdered sugar to stiffen it a bit?

-K8memphis Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 6:12pm
post #14 of 15

sure

kakeladi Posted 8 Feb 2019 , 6:12pm
post #15 of 15

.............. I may just be used to the texture of smbc. I thought it would look smooth and it looks grainy.  It also won't hold up anything I pipe on to it,  borders etc. Would it be ok to add more powdered sugar to stiffen it a bit?......

If you followed the 2 of everything recipe (as you said) to the letter it should look smooth and not look nor taste grainy.  It also should hold up to piping well.  I have used it for years and I do/did mainly b'cream cakes.   About the only thing there might be a problem with is making roses w/the 1st cvonsistency but if you follow the directions for making it crust (found at the end of the messgae/post) that will make roses and other flowers just fine.   I have no idea why you are having such a problem unless you  are totally wanting something as smooth as silk.  I think the 2 of everything icing is smooth and silky.  Sorry to dissapoint you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%