Can I Paint Gold Onto Fondant Before Decorating The Cake?

Decorating By jollybuns Updated 6 Feb 2019 , 4:18am by thecanadian160

jollybuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jollybuns Posted 5 Feb 2019 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 4

I would like to paint the fondant first with gold and then apply the fondant to the cake once the gold has dried. 

Any one have experience with this? i worry it will harden if i do so, i never worked with painting gold on fondant. 

I just worry if I apply it directly to the fondant on the cake it will make a mess or miss a lot of spots.

Any amazon gold recommendations that arent airbrush?

Thanks in advance! 

3 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 5 Feb 2019 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 4

I've never done it that way, and I don't know that it would work. You can always go back and touch up areas, but I would think that the gold paint would crack when it is dried before you drape it over the cake, and you have to smooth it out. Maybe I'm wrong, though. The fondant will also start to dry out as you are waiting for the paint to dry, and that is a whole new problem.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 6 Feb 2019 , 3:45am
post #3 of 4

Ditto ypierce82. Cracks, fondant drying while waiting for gold to dry so it won't b flexible, Unless what you want to paint is supposed to be stiff I would recommend against painting before applying fondant. Get some small brushes and practice first. And what ever you want to paint gold, try pre-tinting the fondant pale yellow and see if that looks better for you.

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 6 Feb 2019 , 4:18am
post #4 of 4

Ditto to what gscout and ypierce have said. I use Luxe Cake dust when I want to turn non gold things gold. One little tip, use everclear not vodka or lemon extract. I have found that it dries faster and puts up a more even coat than anything else. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%