Wedding Cake With Royal Icing

Decorating By Wild-cakes Updated 4 Feb 2019 , 3:54pm by SandraSmiley

Wild-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wild-cakes Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 9:12pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, I’m making a wedding cake in a few months that will be 2 tiers of fruit cake and the top tier will be sponge. The couple have requested royal icing! Couple of questions:

- I’ve heard something about layering the royal icing? Anyone know why you have to do this, and how long you have to wait between layers? 

- The sponge cake will be 3 layers of sponge. Should I put buttercream between the layers as i normally would? And then cover the sponge in something before doing the royal icing? The fruit cake layers will be covered in marzipan. 

Thanks for any help you can give me! 

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 9:41pm
post #2 of 3

I'm in the US but have heard that in UK they add something to royal to keep it from drying rock hard.  You can  use b'cream between your layers of sponge or you can use almost any other filling you want :)     NO, wait a minute - you said they want royal icing - on the sponge or the fruit cakes or both??  I'm confussed - (not unusual LOL). 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 3

I am in the US too, so not much help.  I've heard of using RI over marzipan on fruit cakes, but never heard of using it on a sponge cake.  I guess, if you wanted all three tiers to appear identical, you could cover the sponge with marzipan or fondant before covering with RI.  Hopefully, someone from the UK will see your post and be able to offer better advise.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%