Help Me Price This Cake Please!

Business By HudaM Updated 22 Mar 2019 , 11:35pm by HudaM

HudaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HudaM Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 3:42am
post #1 of 34

Hi everyone 

Disclaimer!!! the $$$ is CAD not USD. I live in Canada in the city Toronto (the most expensive city in Canada) 

So I have a client who wants a bridal shower cake for 20 people but wants a tall cake. Over 6 inches tall. this cake will possibly be 8inches tall. What I was thinking was to make a 6 inch tall cake and put a board in between so they can cut it as 2 cakes. This client is my sister's very close friend (so I can't be very brutal). The flavor of the cake is Vanilla cake with raspberry and lemon flavor inside. My idea is to make a raspberry jam and use lemon curd. here is the link of something they are looking for. They do not want fresh flowers and are willing to use fake. The drip will be white chocolate and the shade of pink very light. [postimage id="10011" thumb="900"]

I know it all depends on the cost of the supplies and such so i have it narrowed down for you guys, 

Cost of Cake + Buttercream and filling + drips = $27

Cost of Cake board, box, flowers (fake) = $10

Cost of Overheads (rough estimate) = $4-5? 

Now this alone without me adding anything is like $40-42 

Once I add my amount or rather my labor, it will take me approx 5-6h to make. 

I usually go $10/h (ik ridiculous, esp since work pays me more. But otherwise my goods get too expensive) 

so with that it would be like $100???????????????? this is only for 20 people!!!!!!! I have it down but im just having a hard time believing it???!!!!!! is it normal for such a cake be this expensive? 

I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY ITS SO EXPENSIVE 

33 replies
ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 5:39am
post #3 of 34

Sounds about right to me. There is a cake place about an hour away, which is in the city that charges $8.00 per slice on a buttercream cake, so their cost for that cake (just the cake, no decor) would be $160.00. I can't get that where I live, and I have raised my prices to $5.00/slice, so that cake for me would come in at exactly 100, without delivery. It isn't about being brutal with pricing, but knowing what your work and your time is worth. If that is the calculation that you are coming up with and you'll make a profit from it, that's the price I would go with. If you cringe at the price, your clients will, too lol

HudaM Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 34

oh, you know what that makes sense. I kind of float around between $3-4 a slice and having it up to $5 is making me nervous. And do you mean that if I think its too expensive so will they? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 3:56pm
post #5 of 34

ypierce is correct -- yes it adds up so considerably but yes that is what it costs to sell one -- good for you -- look at the desserts in any restaurant -- anywhere from $4 to $8 or more per serving and at the time it seems reasonable depending on where you are eating and the occasion --  right -- so then figure if you had 20 friends to feed -- hmmm -- that's gonna be $80 to $160 without any additional labor for décor -- it's just that when you do the math and want to feed a bunch of folks it goes kaching kaching and that's why people want to do this kind of thing -- if they do their own they save -- if they hire someone they gotta pay for it --

best to you

HudaM Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 34

ohh i see, thank you for calming me down a little 

-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 5:11pm
post #7 of 34

blush 

ypierce82 Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 5:49pm
post #8 of 34

The best that I can tell you, is be confident in your pricing. Before I got in to doing cakes and cookies, I had no idea why a cake cost me $140.00. I was confused, and a little mad. Then when I started to do them myself, I understood. They're not just paying for cake. They're paying for the expertise, the time, and so many other things. Please post the cake when you've made it, it is pretty!

-K8memphis Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 5:52pm
post #9 of 34

what ypiecrce said is so true -- with buying and selling the cakes everybody from the caker to the client need the education -- well said, cake buddy

ypierce82 Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 34

Thank you. It's a never ending learning experience.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Feb 2019 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 34

Ditto all of the above!  Yes, this cake is definitely worth $100....or more!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 5 Feb 2019 , 4:29pm
post #12 of 34

I don't like comparing to a slice of cake in a restaurant either. That is a slab, served on a plate,  fancy with some "drizzle" if I am lucky, NOT a presentation item/ centerpiece. 

Take a nice table centerpiece (presentation value) then add the price per slice, because that type of cake is both a decoration/ presentation item AS WELL AS dessert.  So a Walmart cake with a bouquet of flowers/ greetings/ card = beautiful cake centerpiece....price wise anyway. Don't get me started on taste...lol. 

HudaM Posted 6 Feb 2019 , 3:09am
post #13 of 34

Quote by @-K8memphis on 2 days ago

what ypiecrce said is so true -- with buying and selling the cakes everybody from the caker to the client need the education -- well said, cake buddy

Quote by @johnson6ofus on 10 hours ago

I don't like comparing to a slice of cake in a restaurant either. That is a slab, served on a plate,  fancy with some "drizzle" if I am lucky, NOT a presentation item/ centerpiece. 

Take a nice table centerpiece (presentation value) then add the price per slice, because that type of cake is both a decoration/ presentation item AS WELL AS dessert.  So a Walmart cake with a bouquet of flowers/ greetings/ card = beautiful cake centerpiece....price wise anyway. Don't get me started on taste...lol. 

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 2 days ago

Ditto all of the above!  Yes, this cake is definitely worth $100....or more!

Quote by @ypierce82 on 2 days ago

The best that I can tell you, is be confident in your pricing. Before I got in to doing cakes and cookies, I had no idea why a cake cost me $140.00. I was confused, and a little mad. Then when I started to do them myself, I understood. They're not just paying for cake. They're paying for the expertise, the time, and so many other things. Please post the cake when you've made it, it is pretty!

HII sorry for the late response you guys are lovely!!! 

Honestly I could charge up to 125$ 

I love you guys so much, I just needed people to calm me down because I can't lower any amount on this. This group of friends has one that won't agree on the price and is trying me for something for $60. And that I would not agree to. The problem is that there are so many things going on with this cake. I asked the bakery I work at. and my manager said that she would charge up to $120. now this is before adding the flavorings. I'm starting to think that my float around $3-4 a slice doesn't make it that much worth it, and maybe I should charge more. Of coarse once I get more experience in this. 

I actually have another question if you guys don't mind answering, I also want to ask how much icing it would take me to cover this cake, because my estimate is 5.5 cups? (think of it as 2 6" cakes, 6 layers of cake  (1 inch each layer) with lemon curd in the middle along with buttercream )

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 10:19pm
post #14 of 34

I also live in Toronto and I would definitely charge more than $100 but it is your sister's good friend so maybe that counts for something. I made 2 similar cakes last week one was a gift and the other one I sold for $150. They were both 4 layers each 6" x 6" high buttercream with fresh flowers. Here is a picture of one. Help Me Price This Cake Please!

ypierce82 Posted 10 Feb 2019 , 10:30pm
post #15 of 34

It is her sister's good friend, though, not hers. If she discounts this cake, they will grow to expect it any time they want to order from her in the future. That is a can of worms that I wouldn't open, personally.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 12:19am
post #16 of 34

I used to work with a guy who said he never discounted for friends because he thought they were ordering to support him and his work -- how 'bout that refreshing angle

HudaM Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 12:21am
post #17 of 34

Quote by @Pucci Cakes on 2 hours ago

I also live in Toronto and I would definitely charge more than $100 but it is your sister's good friend so maybe that counts for something. I made 2 similar cakes last week one was a gift and the other one I sold for $150. They were both 4 layers each 6" x 6" high buttercream with fresh flowers. Here is a picture of one. Help Me Price This Cake Please!

this is so pretty thank you for sharing!!, 

definitely means I'm undercharging then haha, 

HudaM Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 12:21am
post #18 of 34

Quote by @Pucci Cakes on 2 hours ago

this is so pretty thank you for sharing!!, 

definitely means I'm undercharging then haha, 

HudaM Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 12:27am
post #19 of 34

Quote by @-K8memphis on 2 minutes ago

I used to work with a guy who said he never discounted for friends because he thought they were ordering to support him and his work -- how 'bout that refreshing angle

Quote by @ypierce82 on 1 hour ago

It is her sister's good friend, though, not hers. If she discounts this cake, they will grow to expect it any time they want to order from her in the future. That is a can of worms that I wouldn't open, personally.

So actually UPDATE!! 

Since there was just one person arguing about the price the rest decided to exclude her and are willing to pay full price and they are not accepting a discount!!!. In which case I've decided that I would charge $125-$130 depending on if they want real flowers. @-K8memphis thats exactly what some of her friends are saying!! that they want to support me and would rather I charge full instead of giving discount!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 2:29am
post #20 of 34

Those are true friends. Congrats!

-K8memphis Posted 11 Feb 2019 , 3:13am
post #21 of 34

muscle    YAY, HUDAM!!!   clap

momba5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momba5 Posted 1 Mar 2019 , 1:02am
post #22 of 34

Pucci Cakes - that is an unbelievably beautiful cake - so clean and professional!  Do you mind if I ask how to do the stripped icing?

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 1 Mar 2019 , 1:09am
post #23 of 34

momba5 thank you so much. I use royal icing for all my drippings. I find it easier to work with than chocolate or candy melts.

KatyN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatyN Posted 1 Mar 2019 , 3:14am
post #24 of 34

I am SO glad I read this post!!!

Just had a quote request from a friend for a very similar cake!  For 20 people buy they want it tall.

Huda, kudos to you!!!  I’m in the same situation at times, trying to cover costs but wondering if I’m charging too much.  I’m so glad they’re going to pay you properly!

HudaM Posted 3 Mar 2019 , 12:18am
post #25 of 34

Quote by @Pucci Cakes on 1 day ago

momba5 thank you so much. I use royal icing for all my drippings. I find it easier to work with than chocolate or candy melts.

do you you know what, I think I want to start doing that too. because 1 w/choc is expensive more so than dark and 2 most people dont care. my only problem with the royal drip is that to my knowledge doesn"t the royal harden once it dries? how would you cut it?

HudaM Posted 17 Mar 2019 , 4:32am
post #26 of 34

Hey guys!!!

in case anyone was waiting for updates I'll post up the pictures 

Ended up charging $150 as i decided 7 layers of raspberry jam and lemon curd from scratch and deciding that fresh flowers looked better than fake meant that I am DEFINITELY charging more SO 

here is the picture :) Help Me Price This Cake Please! 

-K8memphis Posted 17 Mar 2019 , 1:46pm
post #27 of 34

oh SO pretty!! the baby's breath is the perfect foil for the flowers -- love it! the little understated drips -- so chic -- just a tad of color showing through the smoothy smooth icing -- love it

KitchenSix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenSix Posted 17 Mar 2019 , 3:07pm
post #28 of 34

I’m glad you charged more!  That cake is BEAUTIFUL!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Mar 2019 , 11:50pm
post #29 of 34

This is absolutely stunning!  You difinitely gave the value for their money!

HudaM Posted 18 Mar 2019 , 12:38am
post #30 of 34

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 45 minutes ago

This is absolutely stunning!  You difinitely gave the value for their money!

That is very good news hehe, thank you very much for all of your compliments really appreciate it so much <3 

Quote by @KitchenSix on 9 hours ago

I’m glad you charged more!  That cake is BEAUTIFUL!

Im glad as well haha, and thank you so much!! 

Quote by @-K8memphis on 10 hours ago

oh SO pretty!! the baby's breath is the perfect foil for the flowers -- love it! the little understated drips -- so chic -- just a tad of color showing through the smoothy smooth icing -- love it

they are so underrated but perfect <3 and thank you so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%