Circus Ideas Appreciated Please!

Decorating By bbsmom Updated 4 Feb 2019 , 2:31pm by theresaf

bbsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbsmom Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 2:29am
post #1 of 18

Apparently, my brain can not wrap itself around an idea for this party so any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Party theme is "Circus"-however it's for a 4 yr old (I'm doing circus animal cake pops) AND her 35 yr old dad. I haven't been able to come up with a circus theme cake idea for him.  I did go thru the 1300+ pictures in the gallery but other than doing something shaped like a box of popcorn, nothing really stood out. The cake pops will be displayed under a "big top tent" and although the dad doesn't really care (as long as his little girl is happy, he's happy) I'd like to try & make a cake for him that's a little bit more ...mature. Anyone have any thoughts? The party is rather small, maybe 15-20 total, so I was planning on just maybe a 9" for adults as kids would probably devour the pops. Also, no fondant-their personal preference. Thanks!!

17 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 18

could you incorporate some kind of top hat and baton like he is the ringmaster?

bbsmom Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 2:56pm
post #3 of 18

Oh wow, neat idea, which obviously never crossed my mind! Thanks!!!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 4:51pm
post #4 of 18

BAM!  Nailed it again, Kate!  I was thinking tent or the popcorn bag, but the top hat is perfect!

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 7:18pm
post #5 of 18

tu, s and bbsmom

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 18

I just thought of a 3 ring theme.  Bake up single layers of rounds (6"ers?) and set them into a triangle on one board.  Then top one w/animals; 1 tophat; and last ?? (LOL)  Kind of - Sort of like thhis:  https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1271471/haystacks        https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1271471/haystacks

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 7:43pm
post #7 of 18

I have another thought -- if you did a loaf pan shaped cake however long you need it to get your servings you could make it look like a circus trailer with stripes and maybe cookies for the wheels -- and use edible ink markers to fix up a couple animal crackers for the animals

see this easy trailer? you could just pipe it maybe -- maybe not --

https://www.vectorstock.com/royalty-free-vectors/circus-wheel-sketch-vectors --

my besetting sin is far too many ideas for the average bear -- just another thought -- my everlasting challenge is in the editing blush

kakeladi Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 18
bbsmom Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 18

Again, thank you all for your ideas. Not sure which way I'll go but will give these suggestions to the "boss" and see. 

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 11:09pm
post #10 of 18

lynne -- love the lion!

kakeladi Posted 26 Jan 2019 , 7:19pm
post #11 of 18

K8 that was an exact copy of something in a Wilton yrbook......don't remember which year - but probably some 25 yrs ago :)

-K8memphis Posted 26 Jan 2019 , 7:36pm
post #12 of 18

yeah you jogged my memory -- I remember it now thumbsup nicely done

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 28 Jan 2019 , 9:03pm
post #13 of 18

So this may be more than you need cake-wise but it is along the lines of the Ring leader hat theme - which i love that idea!

Last year, I made my brother in law a life-size red and white striped Hat cake as in The Cat in the Hat.  He's always wearing a hat so I call him the Cat in the Hat. It was definitely more cake than was needed for this party but it was family and not a business cake so I made it oversize.  I put it on an acrylic rectangular board that I had so that the cake could be held over his head (no  not dropped!) so it looked like he was wearing it for a photo.   If you made the cake in 6" rounds with a RKT brim you could probably do the same.

Please show us what you wind up making!

Theresa

bbsmom Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 2:26am
post #14 of 18

Circus Ideas Appreciated Please!Circus Ideas Appreciated Please! Just wanted to say thanks for the help! 2nd time making cake pops...never again! 

-K8memphis Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 3:43am
post #15 of 18

awesome!!! so cute!! and grand!!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 4:01am
post #16 of 18

Fabulous cake and the cake pops blow my mind!  How long did it take you to make them?  They are fabulous!

bbsmom Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 1:08pm
post #17 of 18

Cake pops felt like they took forever-lol! Of course it would probably have helped if I had some inkling of dealing with candy melting. I rolled,refrigerated & got the sticks in the afternoon, did my first attempt at dipping the next morning-giant fail! Did more searching on "how to" , and finally figured out how to get the right consistency, and spent the afternoon trying to make something that kind of looked like circus animals. Definitely another learning moment in my  life. Thanks again to all for the help!

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 4 Feb 2019 , 2:31pm
post #18 of 18

Looks great!

T

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%