The Dreaded Black Fondant And Silicone Mats

Decorating By Kipper82 Updated 23 Jan 2019 , 3:00am by -K8memphis

Kipper82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kipper82 Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 8

I have a 12x10” cake to cover in black fondant (have ordered Massa Ticino). I have silicone mats which I hoped would solve the issue of having to use cornstarch. However, when I get the fondant (have only tried with white fondant so far) on the cake I can’t then smooth it until I put a little cornstarch on my smoothers. Obviously I can’t use cornstarch on black icing so now I’m really worried about getting the fondant on the cake and smoothing it! I did roll out white fondant with just one silicone mat under it and no cornstarch and put it on the cake with my pin and that actually worked really well and the icing wasn’t tacky so I could smooth it easily. But I know that black is notoriously on the gummy side.... does anybody have any tips please? Stress levels rising as the party approaches! 

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 11:49pm
post #2 of 8

You can lightly steam the cake, once it is covered, and any cornstarch residue will melt right away.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 3:19am
post #3 of 8

also dark colored fondant needs to cure or air dry a bit -- so ir rill it out a bit and let it air dry on each side -- knead it a bit -- do it again till it is easier to handle but you don't want to over knead it either --

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 3:47pm
post #4 of 8

Great trip, -K8memphis!  The really dark colors, of gum paste and not just fondant, can be awfully sticky!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 8

thank you ms. sandra, steaming is also a great tip -- did we used to air brush it with alcohol too? I think we did -- you could try it -- not on your project but just to test --

-K8memphis Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 8:52pm
post #6 of 8

and in post three I of course meant * i'd roll it out a bit blush

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 1:24am
post #7 of 8

Sorry!  Meant to say, "great TIP"!

-K8memphis Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 3:00am
post #8 of 8

never even noticed ha!