Next Investment

Business By gateauxenfoliemtl Updated 23 Jan 2019 , 1:55am by gateauxenfoliemtl

gateauxenfoliemtl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxenfoliemtl Posted 20 Jan 2019 , 2:06am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I have a small homebases cake vusiness. I only cater to orders and do personnalised cakes.

I.have all my basic tools and am ready to invest in some machinery but can't decide what to buy : a sugar sheet printer, cutting machine or airbrush kit.

Considering I have a very small but regular volume, what do you recommend?

Many thanks for your input!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Jan 2019 , 2:38am
post #2 of 6

What kind of decoration do you usually do  much airbrushing or sculpting or what  Probably the airbrush but others might have different views 

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 20 Jan 2019 , 6:07am
post #3 of 6

What you should be looking at is cost vs. benefit. Are any of those extra tools going to allow you to create new customers? Will they stream line production allowing you to work more efficiently? As a business you have to separate the needs from your wants if you want to run a successful business.  That being said, the air brush looks like it would have the most practicality. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 Jan 2019 , 3:32pm
post #4 of 6

I agree with kakeladi and the canadian160, it basically depends upon your decorating style.  Personally, I would never invest in a printer because quality printed sheets can be obtained from several on-line sources.  To make an edible printer worthwhile, it must be used regularly or the ink will dry up.  I have a Cricut Cake (bought cheaply from a neighbor who never used it) and use it for letters, but nothing else.  If you love silhouettes on a cake and do not feel comfortable doing them freehand, you might enjoy using a cutting machine.  For me, it is another NO.  I have a brand new airbrush set that I have yet to try (again, bought cheaply from another decorator who had never used it) but anticipating using frequently because of my style of work, sculpted and painted cakes.  An airbrush is quite versatile, so that's where I would put my money.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Jan 2019 , 8:36pm
post #5 of 6

air brush -- no question

gateauxenfoliemtl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateauxenfoliemtl Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 1:55am
post #6 of 6

You make a good point. For.me it's about getting new client, being competitive and improving the quality of my product.  So airbrush is the way to go for now.

Quote by @thecanadian160 on 2 days ago

What you should be looking at is cost vs. benefit. Are any of those extra tools going to allow you to create new customers? Will they stream line production allowing you to work more efficiently? As a business you have to separate the needs from your wants if you want to run a successful business.  That being said, the air brush looks like it would have the most practicality. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%