Friday Night Cake Club For 01/18/19

Decorating By kstevens Updated 25 Jan 2019 , 2:09pm by Laetia

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 1:07am
post #1 of 31

Opening up another session of FNCC!  Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

No cakes for me this week but my boyfriend is in the kitchen trying out a paleo chocolate cake recipe for my birthday on Sunday ☺.

Looking forward to seeing what you have all been up to.

Kelly

30 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 3:01am
post #2 of 31

What a sweet guy!

I tried a new recipe this week, Spice Cake with Pumpkin Mascarpone Buttercream, from the Life, Love & Sugar blog.  My version looks messy, but it is delicious.

Friday Night Cake Club For 01/18/19Friday Night Cake Club For 01/18/19

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 31

Sandra - so delicious-looking! I don't call it messy.  

K - I hope to see/hear the verdict on that paleo cake! How nice for you. For my birthday, my family just reaches out for dessert forks, and  asks "mom, what kind of cake did you bake for yourself?!"

Final version of the pirate cake. I am sure it would look better, if the cake was 2+ tier or overall larger, but I did not need that much cake, so just a 9". Kids were thrilled.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 4:19pm
post #4 of 31

Wow!  That pirate cake looks fantastic!  Great job!

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 4:24pm
post #5 of 31

You did a fantastic job, LelekBolek!  I don't know why it would be better if it was larger, it is fabulous just like it is!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 31

No wonder everyone was thrilled with that pirate cake!  WOW :) 

LelekBolek Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 31

Thank you, everyone!

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 10:48pm
post #8 of 31

@SandraSmiley your cake sure look delicious! At first I tought it was a Reese's pieces peanut butter cake, but pumpkin and spices sounds just as good!

@LelekBolek this cake is just amazing! Your skull is flawless... Very very talented

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 10:49pm
post #9 of 31

The pirate cake is incredible!

I made this cake for my daughter. I need more practice on making characters. I really wasn’t happy with this one. 

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 31

Laetia, it looks like a Reese's Peanutbutter Cup cake!  That's what I think about when I see it too.  Thank you.

Louglou, your cake is adorable.  Just give yourself time to practice a little more.  Your model looks great, but you will get better with each attempt.

Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 11:49pm
post #11 of 31

Awesome cakes ladies. Here’s my first cake in awhile. Had to stop doing cakes when my son came Friday Night Cake Club For 01/18/19home to live with us in August & passed away in Nov. I’m a little rusty but I’ll get back into the swing of things. 

SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 31

Evy911, your writing is amazing, especially for you to have been piping black and red onto white icing!

I am so sorry to hear about your son.  Big hugs.

Laetia Posted 20 Jan 2019 , 5:49pm
post #13 of 31

@louglou your cake is cute! I'm sure your doughter was realy happy you've made it for her.

@Evy911 nice looking cake, you do not seem that rusty to me!   I'm so sorry to ear about your loss. I send you a big hug and lots of positive toughts.  I think I can somehow understand how you feel and what you've been through in the last 5 months or so. My mom got sick last August and I gave up almost everything to take care of her the best I could while she was still with us. She passed away in October. I almost just start to come out of the shadow and see the light again a week ago. A mother is nothing like a son, I know... but it must hurt just as much.  Xxx

Laetia Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 3:12pm
post #14 of 31

I made a wedding cake and cupcakes a week ago for my best friend mother's. It was nothing like a traditional wedding. Denim, blue, and a little bling where the theme and colors.

Laetia Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 3:14pm
post #15 of 31

Too bad all my puctures are crapy! I hope they have some good ones for me!

Friday Night Cake Club For 01/18/19Friday Night Cake Club For 01/18/19Friday Night Cake Club For 01/18/19

Laetia Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 3:21pm
post #16 of 31

SandraSmiley Posted 21 Jan 2019 , 3:30pm
post #17 of 31

Your cake and cupcakes make a simply gorgeous display, Laetia!  Your piping is beautiful!

Laetia Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 12:36am
post #18 of 31

Thank you @SandraSmiley !

LelekBolek Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 11:36am
post #19 of 31

@Laetia - those are beautiful cupcakes! And I love the delicate piping on the cake, too! 

@Evy911 - so sorry to hear about your son. Heartbreaking. 

Laetia Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 3:01pm
post #20 of 31

Thank you @LelekBolek

Evy911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evy911 Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 3:39pm
post #21 of 31

Thank you all for your kind words. I’m excited to get back to decorating. Starting in February I plan on trying out some new gluten-free recipes and having drawings to give them away, in return for a review on mycake page. Until then, I’m going to the Bahamas. Happy New Year and Happy Decorating!

SandraSmiley Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 3:44pm
post #22 of 31

Enjoy your trip, Evy!  I wish I were going with you!

kstevens Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 7:14pm
post #23 of 31

@SandraSmiley your cake looks and sounds delicious!

@LelekBolek your pirate cake is awesome! So many details....

@louglou your cake is really cute. Making real life characters is hard and I think you did just fine.  As Sandra said, each one you do will get easier for you.

@Evy911 so sorry for your loss.  Great piping on your cake!

@Laetia very pretty display and great piping!

The paleo chocolate cake my boyfriend made me turned out really good!  I'd for sure use the recipe another time. Have a great week everyone!

-Kelly

kstevens Posted 22 Jan 2019 , 7:15pm
post #24 of 31

SandraSmiley Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 1:28am
post #25 of 31

Wow, Kelly! His cake looks delicious!  Big, tall layers and nice smooth frosting!  The boy done good!

Laetia Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 8:44pm
post #26 of 31

@kstevens your boyfriend made that cake, realy? He sure learn from the best! He can smooth a cake better than me!

kstevens Posted 23 Jan 2019 , 10:40pm
post #27 of 31

@SandraSmiley and @Laetia he sure did do well!  The icing has a super silky smooth consistency and so it was easy to get it nice and smooth on the cake using a bench scraper. He's watched me ice plenty a cake and apparently he pays attention!

Laetia Posted 24 Jan 2019 , 1:54am
post #28 of 31

@kstevens now I'm impressed! And by the way Happy birthday to you! I totaly forgot in my other post...

kstevens Posted 24 Jan 2019 , 2:12pm
post #29 of 31

@Laetia thanks for the happy birthday!

On another note, wondering if any of you might have any suggestions to help me with a cake request.  Someone my brother knows emailed me to see if I could make a cake for their daughter.  She is turning 30 on Valentine's day and so they want a special cake.  The only other info they gave me is that she plays baseball, likes boating and is a hockey mom.  They are having a family supper, not a big party for her, so the cake only needs to be big enough to serve 6 people.  I'm kinda stumped so if anyone has an idea please let me know.

Thanks!

Kelly

SandraSmiley Posted 25 Jan 2019 , 12:59am
post #30 of 31

It doesn't tie in with her hobbies, but it does tie in with Valentines.  @-K8memphis just suggested making a Valentine's cake which looks like the little heart shaped message candies which everyones loves.  Instead of I Love U, it could say Happy Birthday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%