6 Inch Tall Cake

Baking By Debbieshobby Updated 15 Jan 2019 , 10:05pm by bubs1stbirthday

Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 14 Jan 2019 , 9:57am
post #1 of 8

Hi looking for some advice please. My cakes are normally 4 inch tall but I am planning a flower tub cake cake where I want it to be 6 inches tall. I have read this may need another board in the middle. Is this a must or will it be ok without. I use a nice firm scratch sponge recipe. Thanks everyone 

7 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Jan 2019 , 1:08pm
post #2 of 8

No, you won’t need a board in between. I’ve done 7” & 8” cakes, sliced and filled, no boards in between. But you will need to put in dowels in your cake for stability. One in the middle of your cake. Then probably 2 at the back, 2 in the front. That will keep your cake stable and secure.

Hope that helps..

Debbieshobby Posted 14 Jan 2019 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 8

Yes it certainly does thank you! 

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 14 Jan 2019 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 8

Your welcome. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 15 Jan 2019 , 3:24am
post #5 of 8

Almost all of my cakes are 6" and I only use dowels if they are very soft or if the filling is soft.  Keep in mind that a 6" tall cake makes a huge serving, so the addition of a cake board between the bottom three layers and the top three layers woudl yield a more normal size piece of cake.

Debbieshobby Posted 15 Jan 2019 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for the advice Sandra

Debbieshobby Posted 15 Jan 2019 , 9:17pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the advice Sandra

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 Jan 2019 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 8

I agree that you don't need a board but I would also put one in there for serving purposes, trying to cut thin slices of a 6 inch tall cake or cutting a slice then cutting it in half horizontally to get the right serving size is far harder and messier than cutting slightly thicker pieces from a 3 inch cake..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%