Pistachio And Lavender?

Baking By EverythingNice Updated 25 Jun 2019 , 10:48am by -K8memphis

EverythingNice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EverythingNice Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 3:27pm
post #1 of 17

I have a bride who asked if a pistachio and lavender cake would be good together. Any idea? I don’t want to buy ingredients and find out they are not a good pair. I’ve searched online and nothing! So any clues? I’ve never even tasted lavender in anything! 

Thanks so much! 

16 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 17

sounds very good -- 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 17

sounds good to me also.

EverythingNice Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 17

Guess I’ll try it! Think a pistachio cake with lavender  in the icing or should I do both in the cake and have a different more subtle icing? I  only get asked for buttercream most of the time! It’s so sweet, I have yet to find an icing that isn’t as sweet without it being cream cheese. Which I want to stay away from since I don’t think this cake will be refrigerated for a while!  Any thoughts or suggestions or recipes would be awesome ladies! Thank you so much! 

kakeladi Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 17

I think your suggestion of nut cake w/lavender in the icing is a good one.   I just have to say icing is MEANT to be sweet :)   Here are some recipes you can try that I used for years:  https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/22469/2-icing   and https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe   For the cake I suggest using a white or fr vanilla mix and adding about 1/3 cup of well chopped nuts.   I did that w/butter peacns when I could not find the Betty Crocker butter pecan mixes any longer.   I started out using 1 cup nuts but after several tries found that just 1/3 c worked the best.   I suggest for the icing use vanilla, butter and lavender flavors instead of the almond mixture.  You will have to play around w/the amounts to find what is most pleasing taste wise.

EverythingNice Posted 11 Jan 2019 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 17

Thanks kakeladi! I have used the wasc recipe and love it! I haven’t found a good from scratch white cake recipe yet so I will be experimenting for sure! True that icing is meant to be sweet! Lol Thanks for your suggestions! 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Jan 2019 , 2:14am
post #7 of 17

I've never had lavender either, but one The Great British Bakeoff, one of the contestants made a cake with lavender and pistachio and everyone thought it was divine.  If it is good enough for Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, it is good enough for me!  I have heard that it is easy to over do the lavender flavor, to add gradually.  

I learned a wonderful trick today - take a spoonful of your cake batter and cook it in the microwave for a few seconds (until done) so you can taste test before you bake.  If more flavoring is needed, this gives you the opportunity to adjust.

EverythingNice Posted 12 Jan 2019 , 2:31am
post #8 of 17

Thanks Sandra! That’s a great tip!  I thought I saw that baked on there myself! But just couldn’t remember! I’m going to try it!  I’ll let you guys know how it goes! 

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2019 , 3:14am
post #9 of 17

I would get french lavender (amazon) and use it in the cake part -- some of it would probably be ground up but it's so pretty -- it's beautiful -- I tend to use neutral icings -- you can get it at whole foods but the french stuff is the best

kakeladi Posted 18 Jan 2019 , 10:58pm
post #10 of 17

Did you make this?  Howdid it turnout?  What did you/the customer like it?   It's interesting and different so  it would be nice for us to know.

EverythingNice Posted 19 Jan 2019 , 1:50am
post #11 of 17

Making a test cake tomorrow! Going to make a pistachio cake and infuse it with lavender from the dried lavender I got online! I’ll be sure to let you know! 

EverythingNice Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 17

Hey girls! So sorry I didn’t get back on here sooner. The first cake actually turned out great! Second cake I made for the cake tasting, I didn’t put enough lavender in so it wasn’t very noticeable. Oh well, they didn’t pick that one anyway! Lol but it was a good combo! I ended up soaking a TBS of lavender in 1 cup water, I used 1-2 tsp in the cake, I did put 1/3 cup pistachios in the food processor and cut them pretty tiny. Wanted it almost like a powder with little bits to chew. I made a regular buttercream and added 1 tsp of the lavender again.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 4:56pm
post #13 of 17

Well I am definitely late to the parade but just thought I would share this recipe. It is a pound cake texture.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.nordicware.com/recipe/lemon-lavender-bundt-cake/&ved=2ahUKEwiiu86pyoLjAhUZWs0KHfR5CUkQFjAKegQIAhAB&usg=AOvVaw1ArNJvZeDCzklUouP0wrBC

I have made it a number of times in the past. 

EverythingNice Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 17

Thank you! I’ll have to try it and add pistachios! Think I could make it without a bundt pan? Would need this to stack. :) 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 11:14pm
post #15 of 17

I don't see why not. I haven't though. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 11:23pm
post #16 of 17

It would be a good one for stacking and would handle weight well. I don't remember how much batter it makes unfortunately but I often switch out recipes calling for springform or bundt pans and bake in regular pans and increase batter amounts for wedding and special occasion cakes.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 10:48am
post #17 of 17

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%