Bakery Job To Learn Decorating Skills

Decorating By arperr Updated 10 Jan 2019 , 7:53pm by cakefan92

arperr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arperr Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 5:08am
post #1 of 8

Hi all! I love baking and decorating cakes. I've made my kids cakes for years now and before that cakes for my husband and coworkers. Today was my daughters 6th bday party and she asked for a unicorn cake. I wasn't blown away by it, but many friends said they would pay money for cakes like that. My husband said I should get a job with a bakery to help learn decorating tricks and in 5 years or so, branch out on my own. He said a local bakery, but I was thinking maybe a big retail bakery like Kroger or Walmart so I wouldn't feel guilty about jumping ship and starting my own business (way) down the road. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Jan 2019 , 5:49pm
post #2 of 8

either way it's a great gig -- I've done both -- with the grocery chains you get great benefits and you'll be fast -- with a local bakery you can learn a lot of wonderful things but no benefits generally -- as far as resigning and starting your own place after one or two years even -- good people would be happy for you

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 4:55am
post #3 of 8

I learned everything I know from wonderful, sharing folks like those you will fine on this site and YouTube.  Just about anything you want to learn is on YouTube.  I also have purchased a bunch of Craftsy classes for specialized techniques, like how to make a geode cake, for example.  

Nanas.sweet.treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 4:06pm
post #4 of 8

I.also thought about doing this, and wondered if would benefit me, but I work better at my own pace And when I don't feel pressured. 

Nanas.sweet.treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 4:06pm
post #5 of 8

I.also thought about doing this, and wondered if would benefit me, but I work better at my own pace And when I don't feel pressured. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jan 2019 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 8

nana, depends on how old one is -- if I was under 50 and in good health I would want to do this because it helps you with speed but if you are just in it for the fun and joy it brings then naw not necessary at all -- but if someone is serious about their own place they need to be able to hammer

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 Jan 2019 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 8

Most of the big box grocery stores are unionized  and you will get paid mimimun wage to start - for something like 3 yrs before any raise.  Also you will not necessarily learn  good decorating skills but SPEED decorating.  Sometimes that's alright but you will not learn perfection.   Anyway.....that's what I went through :(  I suggest you hone  your sills by taking Sandra's suggestion and practice any and all you can from YouTube :)

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 10 Jan 2019 , 7:53pm
post #8 of 8

I did cakes for years before there ever was an internet and I had no idea there were so many other bakers out there - the only place to get a cake as far as I knew was a bakery.  It wasn't until I was getting ready to do my daughter's wedding cake that I discovered all the beautiful cakes online.

If you're anything like me, you'll learn better by doing.  Every cake I do, I learn one new thing and 10 things not to do.  I'm not creative by any means but I can look at a photo and come up with my own version.  My best cakes end up looking entirely different from what I had originally planned.  And I stress endlessly over every single one of them. My speed came from baking a cake every morning to serve with lunch when hubby and I had a restaurant, but custom orders are different and I limit those so I can take my time and get them as close to perfect as possible.

Either way you decide to go, the only way to get better is practice, practice and more practice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%