Best Extracts/essences For Your Cakes?

Baking By The_Feeding_Of_The_Fox Updated 4 Jan 2019 , 5:01pm by cakefan92

The_Feeding_Of_The_Fox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Feeding_Of_The_Fox Posted 4 Jan 2019 , 11:43am
post #1 of 5

So I've fallen in love with WASC cake baking. I love playing about with flavours and I'd love to get some extracts and essences to enhance them as in the UK we don't have easy access to things like coffee creamers and jello like you guys in the states do. 

I've had a look on amazon, both USA and UK sites, but there are so many flavours and they all get such mixed reviews.

I'd love to know what types you buy and where you get them from? What are your staple flavours and what 'out there' stuff was really nice. 

Thanks in advance!

4 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 4 Jan 2019 , 1:50pm
post #2 of 5

I’ve never made WASC cake but I’ve bought extracts and dried fruit powders from a UK company called honeyberry. Their dried strawberry powder makes a great strawberry cake as it is pure fruit but without any of the liquid. 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 4 Jan 2019 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 5

Wow!  thanks for the Honeyberry recommendation.  Just looked at their site and I am so excited about their products.  I have always ground up my own freeze dried strawberries for my cakes (scratch also)  and didn't know I could buy the powder ready made.  They have blueberry, raspberry, apricot, mango, and more.  I am going to try them all!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jan 2019 , 3:34pm
post #4 of 5

I like to use Lorann Emulsions and Neilsen-Massey Extracts.  Beyond Vanilla and Almond (which I buy by the quart), I use a lot of Coffee, Strawberry, Lemon, Cream Cheese, Cherry, Champagne, Raspberry, Rum, Orange.  I also love freeze dried fruits.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 4 Jan 2019 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 5

I've started mixing my own spices.  I love chai spice but haven't been able to find it for years. Finally got the proportions for mixing my own and I'm in heaven! So now I'm experimenting with different mixtures and trying not to gain 50 pounds.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%