Is It Feasible To Put A Ring Box In The Center Of A Cake?

Decorating By nellie0228 Updated 4 Jan 2019 , 4:11am by whatthedogate

nellie0228 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nellie0228 Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 7:34pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I have a customer who would like a cake like this.  In the middle he would like peanut m&m's and a ring inside a ring box.  I am thinking it is going to have to be a decent size hole cut out of the middle of the middle layers of cake to get all that in there.  Anyone ever done a cake like this?  Do you think it will hold up without collapsing in on itself?

Thanks in advance for your input!

Is It Feasible To Put A Ring Box In The Center Of A Cake?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 7:42pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't done anything like it but......yes, it's going to depend on how big that ring box is.  To me, it's asking a bit to have both the candies and the ring box.  I'm sure there are others on here who have already done something like that who will chime in with better more knowledgable info for you.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 6

Why not? Just a lot of cake wasted, so price accordingly. The ring box is about 2.5" by 2.5"...plus about 1 inch of candy around it (at least sides). So the hole is 4.5" wide and 3'5" tall. Do 5 layers (1" each), used a whole top layer and a whole bottom layer, with 3 "doughnuts" for the center 3 layers. For structure, I would do less than a 10" cake. Square would work too (and maybe less waste). 

Sounds neat! Be sure to have the EXACT ring box before you start planning. That is a big factor. 

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 3 Jan 2019 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 6

I did a cake similar to this for a church dinner only it was 6 - 6" layers stacked. The middle was filled with cake pop "filling" and packed as firmly as I could do it.  Once it was cut, the inside looked like a cross. The first piece came out great and then the rest of it just exploded into big piles of crumbs.  Luckily, church people are in the forgiving business and didn't mind having a bowl of cake.

I would use your firmest, densest recipe and pack the candy in as well as you can - maybe just on top of the ring box. I like Johnson's suggestion of a square cake - it might hold together better. Good luck!

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 4 Jan 2019 , 4:11am
post #5 of 6

What if you put the ring in one of those containters that prizes come in?You know the kind that you get out of the gumball machine for 25cents in the machines in the front of the grocery store?

whatthedogate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whatthedogate Posted 4 Jan 2019 , 4:11am
post #6 of 6

What if you put the ring in one of those containters that prizes come in?You know the kind that you get out of the gumball machine for 25cents in the machines in the front of the grocery store?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%