How Can I Achieve This Texture?

Baking By Spinn Updated 30 Dec 2018 , 12:21am by -K8memphis

Spinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spinn Posted 29 Dec 2018 , 3:17am
post #1 of 3

Hello, 

I've been lurking on this site for a while now, but I've decided to take the plunge and hopefully get an answer to my question. I've made more than 10 different white cake recipes, some from scratch, some not,  none of which I really care for. I'd settled on the WASC, which everyone seems to like, but I don't like the texture. I think it has too many holes and is somewhat gummy. I'm trying to achieve the texture of this Kroger sheet cake (also Publix), that I love. I know they use a mix, but the mixes straight out of the box, don't compare in my opinion. 

I'd describe the texture as:

• dense
  • very tight, even crumb. No holes
  • structured
  • soft, but not pillowy. When squished, it stays in place. Some cakes I've made bounce back when squeezed.
  • Moist but not wet

Here's a picture, compared to the last cake I made (durable cake recipe from CakeCentral).

How Can I Achieve This Texture?How Can I Achieve This Texture?How Can I Achieve This Texture?How Can I Achieve This Texture?

Not sure if I should come up with my own recipe, but I'd like some advice on which direction to take. I know some people don't care for grocery store cakes, but I personally love them, so any recipes or advice would be greatly appreciated. I'll even take a link to whatever mix they use. I just want the cakes I decorate to actually be something I want to eat. 

Thanks!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Dec 2018 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 3

I modify the wasc recipe a bit and use self rising flour -- and I would say you described a texture similar to the one I get from it -- I don't put my mixer speed over 4 or 5 -- and I use one or two yolks with the four egg whites -- and I only use a couple tablespoons or so of oil -- and I always bake at 350 -- if it doesn't bake well and needs additional time I start backing off the temp 25 degrees at a pop at the end of the bake --

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Dec 2018 , 12:21am
post #3 of 3

and of course the cup of sugar -- extra fine granulated sugar makes a bit of a difference if you can find that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%