How Much Should I Charge For Sugar Work?!

Baking By Zbowles Updated 8 Dec 2018 , 7:28pm by kakeladi

Zbowles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zbowles Posted 7 Dec 2018 , 2:50am
post #1 of 4

So! My uncle owns a local bakery and he has been seeing some of the work I do with fondant and has asked me to collarborate with him at his shop. He generally makes very basic cakes but wants to add a little puh-zazz to his cakes! 

However, I have no idea what to charge. I guess by amounts of fondant I use? He will be providing the cakes and frosting, I am just doing the fondant/sugar work. I will attach a picture of the decorations I made for a standard sized Christmas theme cake. Any input would be helpful! Thank you in advance. How Much Should I Charge For Sugar Work?!

3 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 7 Dec 2018 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 4

First and foremost, you need to charge for your time.  Then add the cost of ingredients, cleanup, delivery, etc.  DO NOT sell yourself short even if he is family.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2018 , 7:25pm
post #3 of 4

Oh, nice work.  No wonder your uncle is wanting some help from you :)   Agree w/cakefan........you cannot go into his shop, pick out a cake and tell him you will pay only 1/2 of what it is priced at.   Same thing going into the grocery store for the ingredients and trying to buy them for less than what they are marked.   DO NOT sell yourself short.  Your time is valuable & that includes ALL time you spend gathering ingredeints, making the items, cleanup and delivery - & probably some other things we have forgotten to mention:)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Dec 2018 , 7:28pm
post #4 of 4

Another idea is for your uncle to hire you as an employee - paid by the hour - and he supplies all the necessary ingredients & equipment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%