Ball Cake Not Quite Spherical

Decorating By louglou Updated 5 days ago by SandraSmiley

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 6 days ago
post #1 of 6

I’m making a Christmas bauble cake. It’s only 4” in diameter so I used a bowl to bake it in 2 halves and sandwiched it with buttercream. I was expecting it to squash down a bit when it settled but it hasn’t so it’s a bit oval shaped. 

Shoukd I try to squash it? Or hope that the weight of fondant will squash it? Though that might result in a lumpy shape. Or should I just shave a bit off the top?

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 days ago
post #2 of 6

I would get it good and chilled and trim it into a more round shape.  Or, just leave it as is. There are oval Christmas balls.

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 5 days ago
post #3 of 6

Thanks Sandra. In the end I left it a bit longer with a weight on top and it settled into a better shape. 

post #4 of 6

Great!  I look forward to seeing the results!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 days ago
post #5 of 6

Oh how this post reminded me of those 1/2 round pans.   I had several sizes (if I remember right 16" and 18" 1/2 rounds) and they never come out right.  I had to add a 1" strip as long as the cake was round between the two 1/2s :(  That meant I had to bake up a 2nd 1/2 round just for that.  Good thing cake can be frozen.....always kept a 1/2 round there just for this purpose. 

post #6 of 6

I just made a head for Elmo using a 6" round pan, two halves.  I didn't fill them quite full enough, so put together, they are sort of oval.  Works perfectly since Elmo's heat is wider than it is tall!  Lucked out there, ha!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%