Can This Fit?

Decorating By sweet_cravings Updated 1 week ago by kakeladi

sweet_cravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_cravings Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 7:06pm
post #1 of 16

Want to know if I decide to do 12” round for the following cake, will everything fit on 16” square board?

Following is the given design. Considering wheels & hood, handle of the stroller will this fit in if I use 12” round base?  Also will this serve 60 people? 

TIA

Can This Fit?

15 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 16

This is just a guess, but I would think you would need a board approximately 16" x 20".

sweet_cravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_cravings Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks for the reply. Do we get 16”x20” board? Where do I get it? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 16

I agree w/Sandra.  You need a 1/2 sheet board.   They should be available at Wal-Mart and Hobby Lobby among other cake supply shops.

kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 16

O.k.  The hood & handle are probably from an 8" round - maybe cut it into 4ths.  The wheels are prob ably 6"ers.  Add those inches to you 12" body and you can see how big a board is needed.   I don't think you can go much smaller that a 6"er for those wheels and still have it look right and the hood won't look right smaller either. 

kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 8:44pm
post #6 of 16

Oh my....lots of typos up there  LOL

SandraSmiley Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 16

I feel like a fraud contradicting kakeladi ('cause she is my font of all knowledge), but if you use a 12" round for the carriage, I think the wheels should be 4".  If you look at the wide of the carriage, approximately three of the wheels would fit from edge to edge, so I think they are 4".  I totally agree that the canopy and handle were probably made using an 8".

I always make my cake bases, either from plywood, particle board or multiple thickness of heavy cardboard.  I first cover them with foil, then either a decorative paper or fondant and put a ribbon around the edges.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 7 Dec 2018 , 2:35pm
post #8 of 16

cut out circles traced around your cake pans onto parchment (or use cardboard cake bases) and lay them out and play around with them until you get the overall configuration you want, then measure what size board you would need.   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2018 , 4:59pm
post #9 of 16

you can make that all from the same cake -- with one teesny change -- cut out the one wheel and then cut it in half horizontally -- it will look better too -- you got the handle cut out then flip it over to make it stick out like that -- only I would use a half sheet not a round -- but 60 servings you need a bigger cake than a half sheet for 2x2x2 -- you'll need a

13"r 2-layer cake to get 66 servings that are 1x2x4 --

or an 11x15 2-layer for 1x2x4 -- 82 servings

you'd have to go 14x22 to get 77 2x2x2 servings

double check it here http://capitalconfectioners.com/cakulator/cakulator.html

and it's better to overdo the number servings a bit because some of them will be odd shaped --

the board needs to be fours inches larger than the longest side of the cake

kakeladi Posted 7 Dec 2018 , 7:31pm
post #10 of 16

Sandra, don't worry.....I'm NOT always right!!  LOL    K8 is right about cutting those wheel rounds in 1/2...I've done it  and I think it does look better. I usually stay away from using those odd sized pans....had so many of the even #s I didn't want to have to buy more :(   The difference in how many servings one can get between a 12" vs 11" just does not pay off in my mind. MMy motto was 'always do things on a shoestring' if at all possible.  LOL  But then maybe the OP already has those sizes on hand.   Also yortma is right about using paper to lay it out so you know exactly what size board you will need.  Thanks for reminding us :) 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Dec 2018 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 16

I agree, kakeladi! When I read -K8memphis's reply, I did a forehead slap.  Duh, of course you can to this from one  pan!!  That is the difference in a seasoned professional and a hobby decorator like me. It never entered my mind!  Both of you guys are my cake heroes!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2018 , 10:02pm
post #12 of 16

it's cool that you are so sweet to me & lynne, sandra -- thank you for the kind recognition -- yes, it's just that I have made zillions of these carriages because I worked for bakeries rather than only just for myself -- you learn their secrets -- 

and then I have sets of all the sizes of pans from 2" to 16" every inch odd and even -- configuring cakes would make me nuts without the odd sizes in there too -- then i'd figure it all out and they would change the servings by 25 or something and back to the drawing board -- also why I stopped saving the top tier for the anniversary cake and just give them a boxed 5"cake -- too crazy to do all that freaking math -- so much easier --

but I always learn from you too and everybody!

-K8memphis Posted 7 Dec 2018 , 11:06pm
post #13 of 16

and for what it's worth -- I like it when there are a variety of ideas -- even if some of them conflict -- there is no wrong way -- to quote meself, "one baker's never ever do is the next baker's I swear by this" blush

SandraSmiley Posted 8 Dec 2018 , 1:13am
post #14 of 16

I am in 100% agreement Kate!  One of my friends on FB ask me a lot of questions about doing a chocolate horse sculpture.  When she finished, it was gorgeous.  She said she didn't do her armature right because it was different from mine.  I asked her if it worked and she said yes.  It told her, then it was the right way to do it.  As long as it works, it is right!

-K8memphis Posted 8 Dec 2018 , 1:25am
post #15 of 16

+1

kakeladi Posted 1 week ago
post #16 of 16

K8 said:   ..........for what it's worth -- I like it when there are a variety of ideas -- even if some of them conflict -- there is no wrong way -- to quote meself, "one baker's never ever do is the next baker's I swear by this" blush......

OH so very right!  It helps to have a variety of ideas presented.  When someone wants suggestions maybe what I think is super, nice, wonderful comes across to them not so great.....or I can't possibly do that design so having a 2nd or 3rd choices helps.  Other times it helps to put an element or two from each suggesion together creating  your own design :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%