Freezing Decorated Cookies

Decorating By bnalan Updated 8 Dec 2018 , 11:34pm by CannonsCakes

bnalan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bnalan Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 4

I have to make 10 dozen decorated Christmas cookies for church.  Somewhere I read that once the cookies are completely dry I can package each cookie in a zip lock bag and freeze them until needed.  Has anyone done this and does it work ok?  When thawing them do you leave them in the zip lock bag or take them out?  Would appreciate any help.  Thanks

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Dec 2018 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 4

I take it they are decorated using royal icing?  Then Yes, that is one way.  You can even just stack/layer a couple of layers w/plastic wrap between them in a box.    They will thaw very quickly.  I'd take them out of the bag if you go that route :) 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 8 Dec 2018 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 4

leave them in the wrapping / ziplock bag when thawing.  The water condensation will all go onto the bag and not on your cookie.

CannonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CannonsCakes Posted 8 Dec 2018 , 11:34pm
post #4 of 4

sugar cookies last for many many days and royal icing is fine sitting out.  I would not freeze them at all just protect them from the elements, if anything freezing an already baked cookie is gonna just take on a freezer taste.  I use the "never freeze a finished product, but freeze the dough before baked" motto.  That way you always have a fresh baked product.  But I do get you need time to decorate....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%