High Ratio Buttercream Issues With New High Ratio Products

Decorating By CindaCakes Updated 3 Dec 2018 , 5:52pm by SandraSmiley

CindaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindaCakes Posted 3 Dec 2018 , 3:01pm
post #1 of 2

Hey everyone!

Has anyone been experiencing issues with oil separation with American Buttercream?  I have the new high ratio shortenings -- it's Stratas Cake & Icing Shortening - and it's all palm oil.  I know, I know...tell me to use the soy based...but I'm stuck with 50# of the palm stuff for  now....

it's really oily! I actually have oils separation from the buttercream. It's Swank's/Sugar Geek Show's AMC recipe, and it's never given me issues until the new palm-based shortening. 

Has anyone had this? and have you found a solution to making the oil stop separating? it's bad..... this batch was made on Monday for Thursday cakes - I took photos of it after I opened it up..... see how the oil has all separated out? if I remove it (ie: pour it off), the icing gets really thick, and then when it crusts, it looks like it has shriveled.....

Again, I need solutions with this Palm Oil.  I will purchase soy/Sweetex in the future.....but would love some suggestions now for this stuff!  High Ratio Buttercream Issues With New High Ratio Products

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Dec 2018 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 2

Oh gracious, I am about to make my first batch of frosting without using the old style Sweetex.  Since I didn't think the new Sweetex would be much better, I am going to use a mixture of half butter and half Crisco.  Of course, the new Crisco has changed, too, so I don't know what to expect.  I hope someone has a solution.  I actually prefer all butter, but don't have enough on hand right this minute.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%