Which Cake Mix/recipe For Giant Cupcake Pan?

Baking By Henna Updated 28 Nov 2018 , 7:13am by Apti

Henna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Henna Posted 26 Nov 2018 , 5:16am
post #1 of 5

I am making a giant cupcake with the Wilton cupcake pan for the first time.  I want to use a cake mix.  Is one cake mix enough for box sides?  I can only use Duncan Hines and I find the DH cakes to be very fragile.  Should I follow the box directions for the DH cake or should I doctor it to make it more sturdy?

Thank you!!

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Nov 2018 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 5

Try kakeladi's *Original* WASC, which is a doctored mix and is delicious, no matter which flavors you choose.  Because you are adding ingredients to the mix, the volume will be larger than a single cake mix.  One thing not mentioned in the mix is that the size of the boxes have been reduced, so you can use one mix, plus 1/2 cup of mix from a second box, which also adds a little more volume.  This step is not necessary for a good end results, but I always do it.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Nov 2018 , 3:38pm
post #3 of 5

Oh, I forgot to mention, the WASC recipe is a lot more sturdy than a DH cake mix by itself, which makes it ideal for covering in fondant.  I have one of those pans, but have not yet used it.  I believe one recipe of the WASC will be enough.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 26 Nov 2018 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 5

I agree with Sandra by expanding the DH mix with the WASC recipe to not only give you more batter but also to give you a sturdier cake.  For an idea of how much batter you will get, one recipe of the WASC (using just the reduced box size, not supplementing with additional box mix) yields me three 8" round-2" deep cake layers.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Nov 2018 , 7:13am
post #5 of 5

First, BEFORE you pour any batter into the pan, measure how much liquid it takes to fill it up 1/2 to 2/3 full on each side.

You can do this by filling the first half with water, then pouring the water into a measuring cup.   Then fill the other side and repeat.    Most "doctored" (WASC) type cake mixes yield between 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups of batter.

Here are two versions of a doctored Duncan Hines cake:

Sour Cream White Cake

Single Recipe:
1 box Duncan Hines white cake mix (16.5 oz.) (use the powdered mix only―do not follow instructions on the box)

1/2 cup flour, sifted

1/8 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola or vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure almond extract or use vanilla, lemon, etc.       (Yield: 24 cupcakes or two 8”x2” round cake layers)

SOUR CREAM CHOCOLATE CAKE

Single recipe:

1 Duncan Hines Devil's Food Cake Mix powder (15.5-16.5 oz.) (just use the cake mix powder)

1 box (3.4 oz) Chocolate Instant Pudding powder

1/2 cup flour, sifted

1/4 cup sugar

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

4 large eggs

1 cup sour cream

1/2 cup warm water

1/2 cup canola oil

Single Recipe Yield: 2 ea 8”x2” rounds (about 55 minutes at 325F), or 1 ea 10x2” rounds (about 67-75 minutes @ 325),

or 24 cupcakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%