Swiss Meringue Buttercream Cake - When To Decorate?

Baking By Merakibaking Updated 23 Nov 2018 , 8:52pm by -K8memphis

Merakibaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merakibaking Posted 23 Nov 2018 , 9:38am
post #1 of 2

Hi there! 

Yesterday I baked 3 layers of vanilla sponge, wrapped them tightly in clingfilm and left at room temp. I am planning to fill and cover the cake with Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC) and add some fresh raspberries in the middle of the layers and decorate with chocolate, fresh raspberries, nuts etc. The cake is being delivered tomorrow and I wondered when I should actually stack and cover and decorate the cakes? 

Can I make the SMBC today, fill and cover the cakes, leave in the fridge and then decorate tomorrow? But if the icing firms up in the fridge how can I add things on top without it all falling off? Or maybe I can make the SMBC today but leave in the fridge or room temp and then do all the ciign and decoration tomorrow? 

I'm very confused and would like any help as it's the first time decorating with SMBC!!!

Thanks so much, 

Selina

1 reply
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Nov 2018 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 2

any of the ways you describe will work -- although I do not fridge my smbc before I use it though -- I make it and use it -- or make it a day ahead --  I don't like what it does to the texture and I don't want to mess with re-whipping -- the icing will soften some at room temp so you can easily stick things on there -- no worries -- my plan A would be to fill and ice asap -- fridge it -- i'd wait till last minute to place the raspberries if some are going on top to avoid any weeping -- it's ok to pull it out and wait for the icing to soften a bit -- you don't want to smoosh the berries either -- it will soften up -- I know I said the word "soften" 50 times but you got this!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%