Rice Crispy Treats As Structural Element

Decorating By efisher Updated 20 Nov 2018 , 4:04pm by -K8memphis

efisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
efisher Posted 19 Nov 2018 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

Happy Thanksgiving! I am making a gingerbead display that will be exhibitd about a month. Would it be OK to use marshmallow cereal treats as a structural thing? On the other hand, the display doesn't have to be totally edible--so it's wide open. it's just that food stuffs are the cheapest, easiest thing to work with. Thankful for ideas.

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Nov 2018 , 7:24pm
post #2 of 6

just depends on how you use them -- rice krispie treasts itself need structural help sometimes -- just depends -- probably maybe you could

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Nov 2018 , 8:38pm
post #3 of 6

I've seen enough cake shows on t.v. to know that it is not all that firm as K8 said.  Why not use styro?  I often save any styro I come across - even as far as taking what I see in a trash bin if I have a project coming up :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Nov 2018 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 6

Haha!  I horde styrofoam packing, too, kakeladi!  I agree that styrofoam would be preferable.  I use RKT's as structure for sculptures all the time and it lasts for years and years, but it is completely covered with modeling chocolate, which sets up quite firmly.  I would be afraid it would become too soft, if exposed to the air.

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2018 , 2:06am
post #5 of 6

for example you could not make a successful extended elephant trunk out of it or a tree limb of any length and hang a swing from it or something -- it's not that structurally sound -- it doesn't necessarily adhere to metal or plastic -- you can do a lot with it but not everything -- I would not call it a structural element -- it's a filler -- for structure you need pvc, dowel, foam, stuff like that -- rice krispie treats are a great tool for many things but it can break your heart for structure -- just depends on what you're needing it for

-K8memphis Posted 20 Nov 2018 , 4:04pm
post #6 of 6

I mean if you need it for density to fill the inside of the gingerbread house or something like that -- something to adhere the walls to -- with the walls of course joined together at the corners -- that would work -- but like if you made an old fashioned gingerbread grain mill with the big wheel by a river -- you could not make the wheel out of rkt  --

but made properly you don't need the rkt inside the g'bread house -- I use mostly honey instead of molasses because some genius g'bread peeps taught me that long ago -- molasses succumbs to the humidity -- honey holds tight --

best gingerbreading to you -- I LOVE to do gingerbread!!!! have a blast with it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%