Humid + Travel

Decorating By bakingparaiso Updated 19 Nov 2018 , 3:28pm by SandraSmiley

bakingparaiso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingparaiso Posted 18 Nov 2018 , 10:50am
post #1 of 5

Aloha, I am making a two tier cake for a wedding on another island in Hawaii. I am trying to practice the best logistics and decorating possible despite several difficulties, so as I write out my plans I’m hoping to get any feedback, correction or affirmation. Where I live it’s extremely humid near the coast, in the 80s and the wedding is likewise on the beach.

1-making two tall tiers, inner filling of butter/cream cheese frosting + crumb coat of crusting buttercream (not hi-ratio just Crisco), adding dowel structures in advance.

2-freezing the crumb coated tiers, saran and foil wrapped.

3-morning of flight(Wednesday): tiers into cooler, catching 8am flight arrive 10:30.

4-arrive to (off-site) fridge approx 11:45 and remove wrapping from tiers, place in fridge to allow thaw out for Saturday wedding to begin (wed-sat unfrozen) + Viva papertowel any condensation.

5-finish frosting either Wednesday after arrival or Thursday morning ...? Leave in fridge unwrapped. (Unfortunately we are only able to find a rental 30 min from this fridge which is 5 min from wedding site).

6-wedding day: there is only freezer space at wedding house due to caterers. I plan to freeze the cake tiers for 30min before transport (one at a time) and refreeze at wedding house for 2hr. This is in order to give the cake longevity amidst the hot sun of afternoon wedding (no direct sunlight but want it to last a few hours). And set up cake 2 hr before planned cake cutting. (Or should I freeze it longer at first house and simply leave it in a cooler at the wedding house, until it’s time to display?)

Of if anyone has any expertise to share please do. I think the effects of humidity in Hawaii can be hard to grasp, it’s like a muggy summer day every day and no one has AC. No one no where. I will have a hotel room With AC but no fridge there. 

4 replies
cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 18 Nov 2018 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 5

I live in a humid area too and what has worked best for me is to use only Crisco in the BC, no butter.  I make sure the cake is frosted at least 12 hours ahead of time to give the BC time to crust and firm up and leave it at room temperature.  I don't put it in the fridge...and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of meringue powder when making the BC.  After lots of trial and error, that is what has finally worked for me.  Good luck with your cake!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2018 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 5

idk -- but i would recommend ditching the cream cheese frosting -- it's hazardous -- just too much to think about -- it can be out of temp a total of four hours and then it's hazardous -- too much for an excursion like this -- there is a white balsamic icing recipe here in recipes -- just search for balsamic and it will come up -- white balsamic gives the cream cheese type of tang to the icing and it is shelf stable -- try some -- you will be surprised -- amazon has it

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=white+balsamic

the big deal with freezing is you want your cakes to thaw gradually -- taking a frozen cake in and out the freezer into the heat is possibly a recipe for disaster -- it also Might work -- but i would Never do that -- in and out the freezer because you are just asking for the all the condensation on both islands to come attack your masterpiece -- just my thoughts -- especially if you have color in the decor --

why can't you keep them in the cooler and not refreeze them -- you can get some ice packs or go buy some frozen stuff like pot pies or something -- or get ice from the house/hotel -- and wrap the bag of ice or pot pie in paper towel to hold the condensation and then in a zip lock plastic bag --

are you sure the fridge is big enough for these tiers?? some of those fridges are teeny and some are tiny -- and very few would hold two tall tiers --

be prepared to Not set it out two hours early if conditions are not ideal -- but maybe that would be ok too -- but don't hesitate to keep it protected --

i use all butter -- memphis can be steamy hot --

bring stuff to clean fridge -- bring baking soda to mop up any smells in there too --

best to you!!! so brave!!! please i wanna see pictures blush

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Nov 2018 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 5

I totally agree that you should not use the cream cheese.  Lorann make a cream cheese emulsion that I use all the time and the taste is pretty near the real thing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%