Royal Icing.....on A Cake?

Decorating By gottcake Updated 19 Nov 2018 , 3:08pm by SandraSmiley

gottcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottcake Posted 18 Nov 2018 , 4:34am
post #1 of 6

Has anyone ever use royal icing to decorate a cake?

I've heard of buttercream transfers by using wax paper. I have a cake that I'm making for black Friday doing a Naruto design. I made a buttercream transfer one time and it didnt turn out too good so I was going to try royal icing. Has anyone ever put royal icing on a cake?

Btw, for some reason I cannot reply to anyone so I'll say thank you in advance. Not sure why I cant. :/

5 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 18 Nov 2018 , 5:05am
post #2 of 6

You can, and in Wilton it was called color flow (like more liquid royal). You made the transfer, let it dry and then added it to the cake.  It was a course cake taught.

https://www.google.com/search?q=color+flow+icing+blue+bird+image&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS769US769&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjpybeTld3eAhUQCawKHT9FBcIQ_AUIDigB&biw=1522&bih=746#imgrc=FE3MxZe4odrv6M:

It was done in advance, dried and then applied. So the cake wasn't frosted in it, but a dry transfer. 

How big is the transfer?

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 18 Nov 2018 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 6

I did a Monster High logo for my daughter's birthday a couple of years ago, and I used royal to make the image a couple of days before. I waited until it was time to place it on the cake because I was worried about the royal on buttercream. It turned out cute, so for a topper, royal would work.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Nov 2018 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 6

gottcake -- there's  a glitch that prevents people from answering posts sometimes -- but if you have more questions or want to answer johnson's question -- start a new thread -- no worries!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Nov 2018 , 10:05pm
post #5 of 6

Yes indeed royal icing/color flow decorations can be placed on b'cream cake...with some precautions :)  Depending on the b'cream recipe a color flow item can sometimes absorb the grease in the b'cream if placed too early...... soooo put a few spikes of royal on the back of the item that can be pushed into the cake.   OR attach mini marshmellows - depending on the size of the item.  Another way would be to make the color flow on wax paper and leave it on the decoration.....cut off any margin so no wax paper shows, applying to cake w/a dab of fresh b'cream. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Nov 2018 , 3:08pm
post #6 of 6

A hundred years ago, or at least in the early seventies, I did an Andy Cap and Flo in color flow (now called flooding) directly on top of the buttercream frosting, because I didn't know any better, and it worked fine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%