Advice On Creating A Contract

Business By KakePopKarlie Updated 12 Nov 2018 , 2:04pm by mahtc2016

KakePopKarlie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KakePopKarlie Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 3:47am
post #1 of 2

Hello,

I currently am an at home baker and have been getting inquiries about catering business events, but I don't feel comfortable taking on the business as I am not licensed or insured. I just bake for fun and through word of mouth I'm getting these referrals. I feel that I should have a contract in place that states that I'm not liable for anything if someone be injured or have a food allergy reaction especially since I'm not insured. I want expand my business, but I also want to protect myself in the process. I live in MA and have been trying to do some research, but to be honest I'm having difficulty understanding what I should do. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks!

1 reply
mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 2

Personally I wouldn't do it. Even with a contract I don't think you would be covered. All someone has to do is find out who you are, that your not a licensed business, have no business insurance, whether your kitchen is  licensed by health dept, and on and on, Then they could sue you personally. Will your homeowner's cover you operating a business out of your home? I am super cautious and people like to sue. I don't mean to offend home bakers you all do beautiful work and it's not easy. All the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%