How Do You Guys Charge For Various Different Flavors? Or Do You Not Charge At All?

Baking By Zbowles Updated 12 Nov 2018 , 5:11pm by inthekitchen2

Zbowles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zbowles Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 4

I'm just starting out, I would say I've been at this baking business for roughly 10months - 1 year. So my prices have risen over the months as my work has gotten better, but I have encountered a new problem. Well, not necessarily a problem so much as...I'm just wondering if I'm undercharging or not? 

I'll explain! 

Recently I got an order for a two-tier cake (6inch on top of an 8inch) and a dozen cupcakes! A relatively easy order to accomplish, except that he wants a lot of different flavors. The cakes and the cupcakes will be vanilla, but for the cupcakes, he wants strawberry buttercream and in the cakes, he wants coconut and pineapple filling. 

So I guess what I'm asking is...would you guys charge extra for the different fillings and buttercreams this order request? Essentially besides that cakes, I will have to also make...

1. Buttercream for crumb coats 
  2. Strawberry buttercream for cupcakes 
  3. Coconut filling for the cake 
  4. Pineapple filling for the cake 

Thanks in advance! 

3 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 11 Nov 2018 , 11:48pm
post #2 of 4

I usually will offer two flavor choices per cake. One tier one flavor, one the other without charging extra. 

If they insisted on a different flavor for say a third tier, I charged extra.  I don't allow that on a small 4-inch tier because it's too hard to make a 1/2 cup of filling for just that. That tier would have to be one of the other flavors they have already chosen. The only time I would let that slide is if I was already making that flavor for another cake. 

And I only allow one flavor for each dozen cupcakes unless it's just a buttercream change, because it's not that hard to change buttercream flavors if you already have plain or vanilla made. 

If you feel like the amount of labor dictates an extra charge, do it. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 4

i would be quietly perturbed but i would not charge extra for that myself

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 12 Nov 2018 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 4

Quote by @-K8memphis on 57 minutes ago

i would be quietly perturbed but i would not charge extra for that myself

This  ↑ . Although, I will not accept the people that want mini cupcakes in various flavors without charging extra. Each batch I make will make about 40 minis. They'll say, "1 dozen this, 1 dozen that", um, no, what the heck would I do with all of the leftover batter? That is a huge money loss. In this case I agree with K8, I would do it, not charge extra, but not be thrilled by it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%