Customer Wants Big Cake, But Then Says To Serve 10

Baking By Kelbel2440 Updated 9 Nov 2018 , 5:10pm by Kelbel2440

Kelbel2440 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelbel2440 Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 6

What do you do when customers want something grand but only want a few servings? I’ve run into this multiple times for specialty cake requests.  Like this Barr cake she wants, but it’s just for 10 people.  A 7x11 cake would serve 20 or so pieces. Plus the cupcakes.  So do you charge per serving? Here’s the cake....

Customer Wants Big Cake, But Then Says To Serve 10

My pricing by servings puts that at $62.  But that’s technically $6 per guest?  But I feel anything smaller would just look silly right?

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 11:27pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, you charge for all the servings any cake would make.   Maybe for this design if you have sq pans you could make a 6" sq and cut/rearrange it a bit into the shape you need.    Other times the baker must inform the client that it just is not possible to make something that small and then explain that leftover can be sent home w/guests &/or frozen for future enjoyment.     Many of us will not turn on our oven for less than say $50 - others less than $100!  It's just not worth the hassle involved.    It's not your worry what it costs per guest! :(

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 6

Remember clients are not paying *just for cake* but for your knowledge/talent on how to make a *special* design/pretty cake that will blow them away!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 12:43am
post #4 of 6

Sounds like another example of someone who wants a cake with a lot of WOW for a little money.  Exactly as the others have said, you charge your standard price per serving, regardless of the number of people she plans to serve.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 1:22pm
post #5 of 6

they are cheaping out on you -- if you made that for fifty servings or for ten -- it's just about the same amount of work -- this is where a minimum price per order comes in handy -- where you can eliminate this type of client because even though they dumb down the servings -- the price remains constant --

this is a 2-d sculpture -- it's a sculpture because it looks like something other than a decorated cake -- that should be nothing less than $100 -- i would pass on the order and the people

Kelbel2440 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelbel2440 Posted 9 Nov 2018 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the feedback!  I’m only a year into this new adventure and want all the experience I can get, but still feel uneasy charging what I should be charging for stuff!  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%