Help! Cake Shrinking

Baking By MamaGeese Updated 7 Nov 2018 , 8:58pm by kakeladi

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 8:37pm
post #1 of 14

I'm attaching 2 pics. One was right when I took cake out of oven, everything looks fine, then the second pic is when I went back to remove from pan.

this is the same scratch recipe I've used for 25 yrs and it's never done this before, I've made 4 cakes this wknd and they've all done it. I am freaking out....I have a wedding this coming wknd....what could possibly be going on he Really?? 

Help CC Peeps Help! Cake ShrinkingHelp! Cake Shrinking

13 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 10:42pm
post #2 of 14

My guess - and it's totally a guess - is that there is too much liquid in the recipe  but you say you've used the recipe for yrs.  Were you interupted while making the batter and you forgot something or measured wrong?  How does it taste - the same as always - just that it shrunk?    Next I'd look to the overn.  Is it electric?  Maybe one of your elements is out so it's not baking at a good temp.  Just some guesses to help you think it through.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 14

do you think it might be a little over baked? in the first photo it's already pulled away from the sides quite a bit -- is your oven off? do you have an oven thermometer?

MamaGeese Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 4:33am
post #4 of 14

Maybe I need to check that, I've never had this problem before, it's making me think I've lost my touch.....

why do there have to be so many little disasters waiting to happen every time we bake? 

Thanks, gonna check that in the morning

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 10:43am
post #5 of 14

Check your baking powder if the recipe calls for it.  I live in a humid part of the country (S.C.), and this effects the baking powder.  

MamaGeese Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 14

Just checked my oven and the temps are correct. the recipe only calls for 1/2 tsp. Of baking powder, but I did recently buy a new can. Could it be possible that particular can of BP is bad somehow? I always use Rumsford. Are there better brands? Cake on inside looked fine, so I'm hoping I can still use them.

thanks everyone

-K8memphis Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 14

oh sure you can use them

MamaGeese Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 10:14pm
post #8 of 14

Ok ladies, I think you all were right...K8memphis, .oven temp was fine, but Cutiger after you mentioned baking powder , I checked the can I was using (still had a year before exp) against a new can I had, there was a huge difference! I'm thinking it could have just been a bad batch? I'm in central GA and it's always humid here.  Also kakeladi the eggs I was using were a good bit bigger than ones I usually use (all large) anyway that was probably causing too much liquid. I baked another cake this afternoon and it was beautiful! THANKS FRIENDS!

MamaGeese Posted 5 Nov 2018 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 14

Ok ladies, I think you all were right...K8memphis, .oven temp was fine, but Cutiger after you mentioned baking powder , I checked the can I was using (still had a year before exp) against a new can I had, there was a huge difference! I'm thinking it could have just been a bad batch? I'm in central GA and it's always humid here.  Also kakeladi the eggs I was using were a good bit bigger than ones I usually use (all large) anyway that was probably causing too much liquid. I baked another cake this afternoon and it was beautiful! THANKS FRIENDS!

-K8memphis Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 12:55am
post #10 of 14

the devil's in the details -- glad you got it worked out

cutiger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiger Posted 6 Nov 2018 , 1:04pm
post #11 of 14

Glad you figured it out!  I have noticed that baking powder doesn't maintain freshness during our long hot summers.  Learned the hard way to get a new can as soon as I begin to see cakes not rising or shrinking.  

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 2:16am
post #12 of 14

Omg thankfully got this worked out.  I had similar. ..turned out the Large eggs weighed more than Large egg usually used. I now weigh the eggs!

MamaGeese Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 14

Also friends, can you tell me if the cake pan is slightly too big for amount of batter, could that cause a cake to shrink away from sides of pan after removing from oven?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Nov 2018 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 14

No the pan is not too big and that does not cause the cake to shrink even if it was :)    It's natural for cake to shrink some once removed from heat.    Of course it always a gooid idea to weigh ingredients but the fact that the eggs were bigger than mormal should not cause shrinking either.  That is not enough liquid differece. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%