Which Lidl White Choc?!

Baking By Sai1601 Updated 4 Nov 2018 , 11:56pm by SandraSmiley

Sai1601 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sai1601 Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 7

Hey guys I'm trying white ganache for the 1st time. I have read that lidles white choc is a good one to use... I popped in yesterday and they have their simple white chocolate 39p for 100g white packaging  or their baking white chocolate 98p for 200g green packaging. I have never made ganache before but have read it's all about the chocolate you use..  can anyone please help on clarifying which one i should use... any pictures would help... thank you in advance!!... 

6 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 12:25pm
post #2 of 7

I’d use the cheapest one. I find Lidl and Aldi cheap chocolate is still really good quality. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 7

I've read repeatedly that you should not use chocolate chips to make ganache because it has a stablizer added to retard melting.  That being said, I have used chocolate chips, good quality bar chocolate, and Wilton Candy Melts.  They were all just fine for ganache.  The difference being, the better quality, the better the taste.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Nov 2018 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 7

add vanilla powder and you've got a hit with even the candy melts from the grocery store blush

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 12:50am
post #5 of 7

Kate, where did you find vanilla powder?  I've never seen it or even heard of it before.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 7

oh yeah --  nielsen massey makes it and king arthur sells it or amazon --

https://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/vanilla-powder-25-oz

it's thirty bucks!! it was never cheap -- mine was seventeen and it's near empty -- but it 's great to sprinkle onto muffin tops too or brownies -- and in chocolate like i said -- it takes vegetable oil "chocolate" up many notches --

i started out with this great butter/vanilla powder combo from king arthur flour -- that was wonderful stuff! but they don't make it anymore wah wah -- and that reminds me on the chocolate add some butter flavor oil too --

it's not listed on williams sonoma which is odd to me --- but amazon and king arthur flour online

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vanilla+powder

there's several listed ^^^ there much much cheaper so idk the neilsen massey is still thirty bucks though!

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Nov 2018 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks!  I must give it a try.  Vanilla makes everything better!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%