Gel Food Colors

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 14 Nov 2018 , 9:01pm by kakeladi

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 2 Nov 2018 , 2:47am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone else have an issue with food colors fading? Went to color my frosting,  and found my purple comes out blue. My sky blue looks black! Internet says food colors don't expire,  but do they fade? Or change some how when old? Thanks 

3 replies
Bmarco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bmarco Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 4

Maybe they weren't mixed enough?  Perhaps the color components in each are separated.  

I've never had an issue with "old" ones... but I did find an old bottle last night and the ingredients were all separated like old nail polish.  Threw it out.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 4

I've never had an issue with colors being old either, but they definitely fade in the light.  Purple and pink are particularly unstable.  I've added a small amount of baking soda to fondant and gum paste to help stablize the color, but haven't tried it with butter cream.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Nov 2018 , 9:01pm
post #4 of 4

A shame Bmarco that you threw it out.  I went thru that when I was gifted w/an older lady's stuff ...... several jars of paste colors (long before gels came on the market) were like that.  Judging by the lables they must have been at least 30-50 yrs old!   I just stirred it up and used them w/o any problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%