8 Inch Pan 3 Inch Deep Help

Baking By Jolotus Updated 30 Oct 2018 , 11:38pm by SandraSmiley

Jolotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolotus Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 8:09am
post #1 of 4

I made my first cake in my new pan. I'm used to using sandwich tins so a big change for me.

I made a classic mix of the same (527g self raising flour, 527g eggs, 527g sugar, 527g butter, 2 tsp baking powder, 2 tsp vanilla extraxt, 2 tablespoons of milk).

I made far too much batter so probably over filled the pan as I filled it 3/4 full? I cooked it on 180 degrees and it took about an hour and 15 minutes. 

The sides were all hard and crusty. The inside was just about baked. I've not tried it as it is for my husband to take into work but feel very nervous about it.

So in the future what should I do to improve the cooking of this? Cook on a lower temp?For longer? Fill the 3 inch pan half way up? But would I need to add more baking powder to get the cake to reach the 3 inches height?

I want the height in my cakes so should I just continue in sandwich tins which is easier but I get an awful lot of waste this way when cutting off the existing sides and tops.

I'm totally inexperienced so any advice on baking a larger cake would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Jo

3 replies
Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 4

Hi I tend to use 2 inch tall pans so I get a nice 4 inch tall cake - but yes I would say only half fill them . No need to add extra baking powder in my opinion. I cook my sponge at 165-170 degrees.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 4

It will help your centers to back more evenly if you use a baking nail or core.  It helps to more evenly distribute the heat.  I usually use three in an 8" cake.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 4

Oh, and I fill my 3" pans about 2/3's full.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%