Need A Little Help

Baking By barbnyc718 Updated 29 Oct 2018 , 6:47pm by yortma

barbnyc718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbnyc718 Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 11:59am
post #1 of 6

I’m going to bake chocolate cupcakes  (devil’s food) on Tuesday for my sister’s Halloween breakfast party on Wednesday. I’m using the Darn Good Chocolate Cake recipe. It calls for 1/2 cup of water.   I want to substitute that with something else. This is what I have in my fridge now...

Buttermilk — this sounds like a good idea, but the recipe calls for sour cream also. I’m not too sure what sour cream does or serves in a cake recipe (makes the cake dense?) and also buttermilk, so I don’t know what result I’ll get if I mix the two together.

Heavy Whipping Cream — I bought this thinking to use it for frosting. Heavy whipping cream and heavy cream are two different things? Again, I’m not sure what result I’ll get if I used the heavy whipping cream.

Amaretto Creamer — I really feel like using this, but I don’t know how it’ll taste at the end. Will it give the chocolate cake a nutty taste? Will it make the cake taste good? 

Hot Water — I read somewhere to use hot water when using chocolate cake box mixes because it brings out the flavor.

I know I should test it out but I don’t have time to bake today or Monday. Please help me decide what to use and what result will it give me.

Thank you! 

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 2:09pm
post #2 of 6

Why do you want to use something other than the specified water?  One of my favorite chocolate cake recipes (scratch) calls for boiling water.  I like to use strong coffee in chocolate cake.  The coffee taste does not really come through, just intensifies the chocolate taste.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 2:21pm
post #3 of 6

i mean if you are using this for a specific celebration i'd follow the recipe -- recipe testing can be done anytime -- but yes coffee is a great idea

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 6

but yes whipping cream and heavy cream are the same

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 6

As the others said, you really don't want to change the original recipe - much.  The only thing I'd suggest is to agree w/Sandra - use strong coffee.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 29 Oct 2018 , 6:47pm
post #6 of 6

Agree!  Strong coffee or espresso. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%