Best Way To Do This?

Decorating By HajraK Updated 30 Oct 2018 , 2:14pm by MBalaska

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 27 Oct 2018 , 5:02am
post #1 of 16

Hey everyone, I saw these cookies online and I am in love with them! I actually need to make star cookies for an upcoming order and wanted to make these same ones. What is the best way to do these on white fondant covered cookies? I have Americolor airbrush colors both in matte (the “regular” set I guess) and the pearl sheen set. Can I combine say regular black with the silver pearl sheen to get a sparkly black look?

Best Way To Do This?

15 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Oct 2018 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 16

I have no idea.  Why not give it a try on a piece of scrap fondant before you start decorating the cookies.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2018 , 6:33pm
post #3 of 16

It's hard to say for sure but those look to be to be iced w/royal run-in/flood rather than fondant.  If so they probably are splattered.  Some of them look to have had sprinkles dropped on them while the flood was fresh...still wet.  No reason to not try something similar with fondant.

HajraK Posted 27 Oct 2018 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 16

My order is for fondant cookies but with free design so that’s why I wanted to try it. I agree some of them look sprinkled while wet but the splatter ones I coud probably do on fondant. Ill just have to experiment!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Oct 2018 , 8:42pm
post #5 of 16

there's a wood finishing technique called fly splatter where you take a toothbrush and flick the bristles onto whatever -- just a random thought for you

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 27 Oct 2018 , 11:32pm
post #6 of 16

K8memphis...I’ve used the fly splatter technique, using toothbrush, silicone brush, and the back of a fork. All give different type of splatter.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 2:10am
post #7 of 16

june, yes -- lots of fun -- seems too easy but the results are so cool too

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 2:19am
post #8 of 16

I used to do the toothbrush spatter thing on my oil paints and I have tiny, little flicks of dried oil paint all over my dining room table, haha.

HajraK Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 5:11am
post #9 of 16

I’ve only tried it with a small paintbrush so far and wasn’t too impressed with the results..I’ll have to try with a toothbrush next..on another note though - I feel like I use a lot of luster dust and lemon extract when painting on fondant cookies, as in I feel like I’m continuously adding extract to keep the “paint” from drying out! Is this normal?

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 11:54am
post #10 of 16

HajraK I use both alcohol and lemon extract with lustre dust. The lemon extract definitely lasts longer. With alcohol, it evaporates quite a bit. But they both evaporate, so this is normal.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 16

sandra, that's funny --

yeah, you need a firm flat bristle that will splatter well to get the effect in the picture

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 2:05pm
post #12 of 16

I was not even aware of them, Kate, until we moved and the new dining room allowed sunlight to fall directly on the table.  I was horrified, but oh well, when you are a painter, stuff happens, lol.  I once had my cat jump up on the table and land right in the middle of my palette of oil paints.  Of course she paniced and immediately jumped down, ran across my lap, across the dining room carpet (pale blue), across the kitchen (hardwood) and into the bedroom (again, pale blue).  Guess which color was on her feet????  BLACK!  Talk about a cleanup job!

-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 2:19pm
post #13 of 16

oh my goodness! poor kitty poor sandra -- what a clean up --

SandraSmiley Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 5:34pm
post #14 of 16

It was a whole lot more "poor Sandra" than it was "poor kitty"!  She ran around so much, most of the paint was transferred to me and the floor.  I cleaned her up first, which was really easy compared to everything else.  To this very day (and this was 25 years ago) my sweatsuit still has  remnants of her tracks, lol.

-K8memphis Posted 28 Oct 2018 , 7:54pm
post #15 of 16

hahahaha -- too funny!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 30 Oct 2018 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 16

Those cookies are fantastic.  They look like they are airbrushed before the royal icing spatters.  Great work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%