Hi Ratio Shortening

Decorating By barbnyc718 Updated 26 Oct 2018 , 4:25pm by SandraSmiley

barbnyc718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbnyc718 Posted 26 Oct 2018 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 2

Hi there!

So, I have a 3lb tub of hi ratio shortening in the freezer that I took out this morning and placed in the fridge. I’m going to “trial bake” this weekend for a potluck Thanksgiving party they’re holding at work next month. I’m doing this because I’m an amateur at baking and all and I want to have great tasting cupcakes.

My question is, I don’t remember how long I’ve had the shortening in my freezer. Should I toss it? I only used a bit of the shortening. I feel awful in wasting it. How would you know if the shortening has gone bad? Would it have a foul smell, a bad taste or a turn in color? I’ve probably had the shortening for maybe a year or two? 

Thank you all for the advice.

And many thanks for the advice I posted under the Baking forum!! I tried cakeladi’s recipe and it came out very good! 

Have a great day!!!

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Oct 2018 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 2

Your shortening will be fine.  I bought a 50 pound box of Sweetex (and I am just a hobby baker) and divided it into 5 pound blocks, double bagged it in Ziploc bags and froze it.  I am now on my last bag, but some of it was in the freezer for two years and it has not changed in the least.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%