Please Tell Me Someone Else Has Done This Before

Business By Creative_RB Updated 25 Oct 2018 , 10:18pm by kakeladi

Creative_RB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Creative_RB Posted 25 Oct 2018 , 12:40am
post #1 of 3

I haven't been on this site in years but I needed some people to vent to that didn't know me, lol.

A few weeks back I took a relatively last minute wedding cake order for Halloween. We nailed down all the details, I got payment, I made the cake and went to deliver it today. That's right, today is NOT Halloween....That's next Wednesday.... Somehow I'd gotten it in my head that this was the week of Halloween and started planning for, preping and making the cake. So that was like a whole week of not noticing I was planning for the wrong date!

I showed up at the venue and found no reception set up and the front desk said it was next week. Then I looked at my watch that has the date and realized it was NOT the 31st today! So I took the cake home planning to freeze the layers but knowing the decoration wouldn't look good so I'd scrape off the icing and redo it but at least I'd have the cake already made.

Time for mistake number two! I'm very frustrated with myself and text a picture of the cake and a vent about my mistake to a friend. Well.... it was supposed to go to a friend. Somehow I texted the mother of the groom (one who was my main contact for the cake) instead!!! She responded kindly but said that they were paying for a fresh cake and that's what they'd like. I want to crawl in a hole! How did I text her without noticing!! My text, while not damning, wasn't said in the most professional way and I wasn't even intending on telling them that I'd mixed up the date or that I was freezing the cake. I fully believe that I can have a fresh tasting cake, even with it being frozen but I know that's not what they would think. At least the customer was very nice and said the cake was beautiful. I said that next week's should be even better now that I've gotten the practice, lol!

Has anyone else ever screwed up twice in one day like this? (I've made other mistakes before but not so close together)

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 Oct 2018 , 12:45am
post #2 of 3

Since I don't sell very many cakes (if it just a hobby for me), I haven't had this kind of thing happen with cakes, but I have in other areas, so you are not alone.

Go ahead and freeze the cake and just don't mention it.  You and I both know that freezing a cake makes it more moist and it loosing nothing whatsoever in the process.  Best of luck to you.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Oct 2018 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 3

Yu sure had a mixed up week/day :(  Really wish there was something I/we could do to make you feel better - (understand how such things can happen).

I really don't remember if I ever mixed things up that way or not but I agree w/Sandra.   Go ahead and fz it.   Having made 1000s of cakes that had been fzn I never had anyone say anything about their not beeing fresh tasting.  Just be sure, extra sure, that you wrap it up well to ensure that it remains fresh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%