Cake And Buttercream Flavour Combination Under Fondant

Baking By louglou Updated 19 Oct 2018 , 8:19pm by cakefan92

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 18 Oct 2018 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 3

I want to make my mum a birthday cake to be covered in buttercream and fondant.  She likes nuts and not too sweet fruits like apple, blackcurrants, lime etc.

Would fresh fruit like chunks of apple or whole berries cooked into the cake batter be strong enough to hold up fondant? What flavour combinations would work? I usually use these types of flavour in un-iced cakes so can’t imagine them with buttercream and fondant. 

2 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 18 Oct 2018 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 3

I make an apple Bundt cake that is nice and sturdy enough to hold up, if baked in layers instead of a Bundt pan, to fondant.  I agree, we usually eat it with just a glaze, but you could use just a small amount of buttercream, sort of like a half naked cake, and the fondant should not be that distracting.  You could always add a fruit flavoring to the fondant, or even cream cheese flavoring.  If your family is like us, you would probably peel off the fondant anyway.

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 19 Oct 2018 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 3

I make a fresh apple bundt cake that is very good, and usually just dust it with powdered sugar.  I think it would be wonderful and would hold up very well to not-too-sweet buttercream and modelling chocolate.  I always cover cakes in modelling chocolate instead of fondant simply because it tastes so much better.  If necessary, I'll mix it up to 50/50 with fondant depending on how firm I need it to be and it doesn't affect the taste too much.

If your fruit and/or nuts are chopped small enough and evenly distributed throughout the batter, it should hold up well no matter what you use to cover it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%