Luster Dust Do's & Don'ts?

Decorating By BakedbyMommy Updated 17 Oct 2018 , 8:52pm by SandraSmiley

BakedbyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakedbyMommy Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 4:47am
post #1 of 8

Ok, so I am moving on to working with Luster dust. I have a few from CK and attempted to paint a chocolate covered cakesicle by mixing it with vodka (cheap one) and it didn't work that well. The dust didn't seem to blend well. I saw the color but when painting on, the stroke with break up and leave very little color behind. So I am just wondering....

Can it be painted on with vodka, brushed on dry or mixed with any chocolate?

Do I have to use a specific vodka? I bought whatever cheap bottle I found.

It doesn't dissolve, correct? It looked to me like oil/water.

For fondant, should i dry dust or mix w vodka?

And of course, add any tips or advice you may have. Thanks!

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 8

BakedbyMommy, your experiences sound exactly like mine when I first tried to paint with petal/luster dust.  There are some types of dusts - that LOOK like luster dust, but actually are not - that are intended to be sprinkled on for a glittery effect, but it will not mix with alcohol, or anything else that I've tried.  All of the different brands of petal dusts that I've tried work well, Wilton, CK, Rokie & Rich, GSA.  My favorite gold, silver and other metalic colors are made by CK and are called Designer Lusters.  Ideale also makes a very nice gold.  They are gorgeous dry brushed or mixed with alcohol to make a paint.  CK lusters are not approved in the US for consumption, decorative use only.

Paints made with vodka will not work on chocolate because of the high fat content.  If you want to paint on chocolate, use melted cocoa butter instead of alcohol to mix your colors.  Dry brushing chocolate also works quite well.  

I think we all use the cheapest vodka or Everclear that we can find.  It is the alcohol content that is important, not the taste.  You can also use lemon or other clear extracts.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 8

I'm surprised Sandra didn't touch on the 1 thing that stood out to me in the OP's ?.  It sounds like you are using much to much vodka.  It should only be enough to make a medium consistency mud.  If you get too much, just let it sit and the vodka will evaporate.  You also have to work quickly because of that factor.

BakedbyMommy Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 8

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 5 hours ago

BakedbyMommy, your experiences sound exactly like mine when I first tried to paint with petal/luster dust.  There are some types of dusts - that LOOK like luster dust, but actually are not - that are intended to be sprinkled on for a glittery effect, but it will not mix with alcohol, or anything else that I've tried.  All of the different brands of petal dusts that I've tried work well, Wilton, CK, Rokie & Rich, GSA.  My favorite gold, silver and other metalic colors are made by CK and are called Designer Lusters.  Ideale also makes a very nice gold.  They are gorgeous dry brushed or mixed with alcohol to make a paint.  CK lusters are not approved in the US for consumption, decorative use only.

Sandra! Thank you for always being there, seriously lol. I am now wondering if I bought the wrong product. I have the CK Edible Luster Dusts. They do not say designer. I know they are not approved, so then how would I color something gold? I had someone ask for a cake with gold metallic spatter or gold drip. Food coloring gold looks like a mustard yellow and isn't metallic. I've also seen people color cake pops and cakesicles gold, and they've been consumed...in the US! It's confusing.

Paints made with vodka will not work on chocolate because of the high fat content.  If you want to paint on chocolate, use melted cocoa butter instead of alcohol to mix your colors.  Dry brushing chocolate also works quite well.

oh ok, makes sense. I was going to dry brush for a metallic look but I am going to look into cocoa butter! 

I think we all use the cheapest vodka or Everclear that we can find.  It is the alcohol content that is important, not the taste.  You can also use lemon or other clear extracts.

Ok great! I just wanted to make sure the cheap alcohol wouldn't affect the finish.

BakedbyMommy Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 8:33pm
post #5 of 8

Quote by @kakeladi on 33 minutes ago

I'm surprised Sandra didn't touch on the 1 thing that stood out to me in the OP's ?.  It sounds like you are using much to much vodka.  It should only be enough to make a medium consistency mud.  If you get too much, just let it sit and the vodka will evaporate.  You also have to work quickly because of that factor.

Kakeladi! Thank you for the help! You Sandra and Memphis are always here to save the day! I thought I put too much alcohol too! I figured, since they're so opaque, it would be ok. I guess not! I definitely didn't have a mud consistency. Great idea! That way I don't have to add more. Does a little go a long way?

BakedbyMommy Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 8:36pm
post #6 of 8

I just looked up the description for the luster dust that I have and it says:

• FDA Approved
  • Kosher
  • .25 oz container
  • Made in USA
  • Use to color fondant, buttercream, and melted chocolate
  • Brush on fondant and chocolate
  • Mix with clear alcohol to airbrush
  • Mix with clear alcohol, oil, or extracts to paint portraits.

So am I to assume it is ok to consume? and use to color buttercream?!!!!! How exactly? I've read that it shouldn't be combined with BC. 

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 8

https://www.globalsugarart.com/edible-hybrid-luster-dust-soft-gold-2-5-grams-by-roxy-rich.html?fee=3&fep=13556&gclid=CjwKCAjwu5veBRBBEiwAFTqDwd41PcHCRqdKFe1cD4rZOxBKie8oXKeQOqJ7ZSstpYD1NHfWb_lGBRoCEUYQAvD_BwE

Roxy & Rich has a metallic gold which has been approved by the FDA, but it is the only one that I know of approved for consumption in this country.  There are several brands which have been approved in other countries and I know a lot of the metallic cakes that we see are made outside the US.  However, I see people, all the time, painting things gold that you know will never be removed.  Personally, I would not be afraid to use a small amount, like for a spatter, but I've only used it for trim which can easily be removed before serving.  It is not quite as flashy, but Wilton makes a spray gold that is like a soft metallic, is edible and quite nice.  My Superman cake is painted with it.

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Oct 2018 , 8:52pm
post #8 of 8

Well, since it says it can be mixed with alcohol, you probably did just have too high a ratio of alcohol to paint.  If you still have it, go back to your paint pot (which will be as dry as a bone by now) and try adding just a little alcohol.  By the way, I use bottle caps (like from colas) to mix colors and never throw them away (well, eventually throw them way, but I do use for a while).  I just add more dust and alcohol as needed.  

I've never done it, but I believe lusters are dry dusted onto crusted buttercream.  I have found that metallics loose most of their shine when mixed with gum paste or cake lace, sort of look like mud.  They look a lot better when the luster is applied after the item is made.

Since your label says that it is FDA approved, go for it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%