I Need Help Please

Decorating By DC-cakes Updated 16 Oct 2018 , 12:20am by kakeladi

DC-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DC-cakes Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 6:34pm
post #1 of 7

I Need Help Please

Hi I’m new here! I was wondering if anyone can help me with this. I am desperate to know why this happens or what I can do for this not to happen. I have looked up so many things and nothing seems to be changing the outcome. I’m honestly just not sure what is causing this to bulge and start to drag down and look so sloppy it’s so upsetting

6 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 8:27pm
post #2 of 7

That is called blow-outs.  There are M A N Y different thoughts on how to stop it :(  My thoughts are 1) you didn't smooth the fondant onto the cake well enough.  2) once covered, use a pin/needle and make tiny holes all around both the top & bottom before adding your borders - smoothing lightly once more.  3) make sure your layers are level before putting them together to form the tier.  Some people will tell you to 1) let the cake rest for some time before covering it or 2) put a weight (of books or similar) on the tier before covering w/fondant.  I have NEVER done either and have had little problems w/blow-outs. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 7

Honestly, to me it appears that your fondant is stretching.  What kind of fondant are you using?  I always use homemade marshmallow fondant and sometimes it is very soft and stretchy.  Could this be happening here? Do you refrigerate your cakes?  Perhaps keeping it refrigerated prior to delivery would help.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 7

How is that top tier supported?  It looks like it's pressing down on the bottom tier, causing it to flatten and the fondant to sag/flare.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 7

Yes, it does, maybenot!  I think you have hit the nail on the head!

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 12:17pm
post #6 of 7

Yeah my first thought was that the support system used is not doing its job correctly.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Oct 2018 , 12:20am
post #7 of 7

o.k. you two......you saw much more than I did - probably because you use fondant more than I do.  Yep, I think you two are on to something :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%