Doctoring Spice Cake Box Mix

Baking By barbnyc718 Updated 14 Oct 2018 , 2:20pm by -K8memphis

barbnyc718 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbnyc718 Posted 12 Oct 2018 , 12:58pm
post #1 of 6

Hello, all! Newbie here and also an amateur baker.

My office is throwing a Thanksgiving party next month and I’m deciding to bring cupcakes. I saw the turkey cupcakes from the designers of “Hello, cupcake” and I really want to create that. 

The cupcake is a spice cake with, I believe, chocolate frosting. Firstly, I’m not sure if those two flavors go together. I’ve researched online and I’ve read they do go together? 

So, for the spice cake, I purchased BC spice cake mix. On the box, it states it has the pudding mix in it. I wanna doctor the mix so that it doesn’t taste like it came from the box and I really wanna blow the party away with spectacular tasting and great looking cupcakes! 

I was thinking of using whole milk instead of the water and using melted butter in place of the vegetable oil. I’ve never worked with doctoring a box mix before; I’ve only made cake by following the cake box (that’s how amateur I am). 

Any help or advice from those much experienced bakers out there? I know it’s too early to talk about Thanksgiving, but I’m starting to prepare by slowly purchasing the food items to make the turkeys on top of the cupcakes. 

Thank you so much! Looking forward to hearing the responses!

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2018 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 6

buy an extra cake mix and divide into three equal parts -- because cake mixes call for three eggs -- and you can conduct three separate tests to see if your ideas will work -- using milk instead of water probably always works -- but if you do chocolate cake it  takes the chocolate factor down a notch -- the melted butter is a maybe maybe not -- are you going to refrigerate them? butter does not fully relax back to room temperature after it's baked in a cake so there's that -- but anyway you can experiment with your ideas if you want -- three different ways --

hey i'd use some extra spice and a little coffee in there -- like maybe two or three tablespoons -- or if you ever do spiced holiday coffee -- wowzers

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 6

Here is a perfect reipe for your cupcakes :)    https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 2:07am
post #4 of 6

I just made a spice cake. You can use my recipe if you would like.

1 box of spice cake mix

1 heaping cup of sour cream

1/3 cup veggie oil

1 packet caramel pudding

4 large eggs

1/3-1/2 cup what ever liquid coffee creamer you like

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 3:38am
post #5 of 6

I agree with k8memphis.  If you are creating your own doctored cake mix recipe, you should probably test it first unless you’ve made it that way before and it worked.  The Cake Doctor has a few cookbooks out with great doctored cake recipes.  I recommend investing in at least one of them.  I love them. They come in really handy. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 6

and yes i believe chocolate icing and spice cake can be awesome -- when i was a kid mom would buy jiffy mixes -- and their spice cake with the their chocolate icing was ridiculous -- my favorite

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%