I Have Weird Cake Question

Baking By HudaM Updated 15 Oct 2018 , 11:34pm by HudaM

HudaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HudaM Posted 11 Oct 2018 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 15

So basically, you know how in bakeries their cakes somehow magically are always so moist and soft even after being in the fridge for so long. Why can't I replicate the softness at home? most cakes require butter and butter hardens at cold temp so therefore ofc cake hardens in the fridge ( which is why i serve cakes at room temp). they taste delicious but somehow people always want the texture from outside bakeries. how can I do that? would oil based recipes work better? is there oil based vanilla/chocolate cake that is magically also soft and delicious? I always come across fails of oil based cakes so im wondering if anyone here knows? 

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2018 , 5:25pm
post #2 of 15

the butter does not relax when it comes back to room temp after being fridged -- yes use oil based if you fridge them

-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2018 , 5:51pm
post #3 of 15

and this was an astute, savvy cake question -- not weird blush

HudaM Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 12:07am
post #4 of 15

Quote by @-K8memphis on 6 hours ago

the butter does not relax when it comes back to room temp after being fridged -- yes use oil based if you fridge them

is that why there seems to be certain dryness to texture of the cake once the cake is refrigerated, 

I am now going to go on hunt for oil based cakes  haha 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 12:43am
post #5 of 15

A lot of people are accustomed to cake mixes, too, and they are generally softer than scratch cakes.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 1:03pm
post #6 of 15

yes -- that's exactly why -- after it comes back to room temp -- if you microwave it for 3 seconds it will be as soft as it ever came out of the oven -- 'course it's not a good idea for the icing but -- for testing that will prove it -- and we just say it is 'dry' because it doesn't go down the throat well -- but technically it's not dry it's firm --

i use a variation of wasc, a doctored cake mix,  with self rising flour for white cake -- it is a work horse especially for tier cakes that have to be held for several days before serving and i take them in and out the freezer and fridge -- i always deliver cold cake -- 

and the hershey's perfectly perfect chocolate cake is a good one too --

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 15

Don't you just love the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake?!!  I bet I've made at least a hundred of them!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 15

great recipe!!

HudaM Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 5:16am
post #9 of 15

Quote by @-K8memphis on 16 hours ago

yes -- that's exactly why -- after it comes back to room temp -- if you microwave it for 3 seconds it will be as soft as it ever came out of the oven -- 'course it's not a good idea for the icing but -- for testing that will prove it -- and we just say it is 'dry' because it doesn't go down the throat well -- but technically it's not dry it's firm --

i use a variation of wasc, a doctored cake mix,  with self rising flour for white cake -- it is a work horse especially for tier cakes that have to be held for several days before serving and i take them in and out the freezer and fridge -- i always deliver cold cake -- 

and the hershey's perfectly perfect chocolate cake is a good one too --

I've done the microwave trick and it works awesome as long as the icing is just of the fridge and give it a 5 - 10 sec in the microwave and your slice is nice and delicious, so you are def right about that. I made doctored mix using betty crockers cake box and it had the weird after taste of cake mix and even stronger than regular box, wasn't up to par with my go to chocolate cake. But maybe thats my mistake as I've heard most people use Duncan Hines?  does it ever give the "cake mix taste", bc i don't like that at all. 

THis is so cool, I love sharing information hehe :D 

has anyone tried shortening in their cakes because I've heard that makes it real nice and soft? the only reason why I don't use shortening is because I hate its taste and sworn at baking school to never use it. But but if there is a way to use it in cake and mask it without having that film at the back of the throat then I will gladly use it. 

HudaM Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 5:17am
post #10 of 15

never tried it :O 

HudaM Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 5:24am
post #11 of 15

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 10 hours ago

Don't you just love the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake?!!  I bet I've made at least a hundred of them!

maybe this will be the next one ill try !

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 11:21am
post #12 of 15

Has anyone tried melted butter? I remember seeing a recipe with melted butter in the cake and was wanting to give it a try, but I don't remember where I saw it at. 

HudaM Posted 14 Oct 2018 , 5:17pm
post #13 of 15

Quote by @littlejewel on 5 hours ago

Has anyone tried melted butter? I remember seeing a recipe with melted butter in the cake and was wanting to give it a try, but I don't remember where I saw it at. 

ive tried it, its a game changer it taste great, but im looking for the texture of cake without the butter. maybe if i do half and half? hmmm thats an interesting thought. 

littlejewel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlejewel Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 9:05pm
post #14 of 15

I just remembered where I saw the part melted butter part oil cake, well sorta, it was either "Duff bakes" or The perfect cake by America's test kitchen. I don't own either book, I checked them out from my local library so I'm not able to look up the recipes for you

HudaM Posted 15 Oct 2018 , 11:34pm
post #15 of 15

Quote by @littlejewel on 2 hours ago

I just remembered where I saw the part melted butter part oil cake, well sorta, it was either "Duff bakes" or The perfect cake by America's test kitchen. I don't own either book, I checked them out from my local library so I'm not able to look up the recipes for you

thank you, that information alone is good enough :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%