Should I Get Tiered Or Flat Cake For My Engagement Party?

Baking By singh0121 Updated 13 Oct 2018 , 6:23pm by SandraSmiley

singh0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singh0121 Posted 11 Oct 2018 , 4:01am
post #1 of 9

Bakery near my place recommended a flat cake for a 2 hour drive because they don't deliver and they don't put tiered cake in a box. I always get cakes from this bakery and I don't want to try another baker at this point.

Should I get dovels to set up my own cakes or should I just go with flat cake like what's in trend these days? I can't decide if I want a tiered or a flat cake, I am  ok with both.

How long can a dark and white chocolate mousse stay at room temperature/in ac car? I am going to pick up the cake around 12pm and we are going to cut it around 6-7pm ? What should I do after I pick up the cake? Should I put in a cooler with ice blocks or should I just turn on my ac and when I get to the place, store it in the refrigerator and then take it out 30-40 mins before cutting?

Can you please guide me what to do after I pick up the cake?

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2018 , 9:09pm
post #2 of 9

If you had ever delivered a stacked cake, you would understand why your bakery recommended a sheet cake.  It is one of the most stressful things you will ever do and you do not need that for your engagement party.  If you are happy to go with a sheet cake, by all means, go that route.  They can be very beautiful and safe to travel two hours by car.

If your temperatures are not high, the cake should be just fine traveling.  It would not hurt to put it in the refrigerator once you arrive, but if the room is reasonably cool, no necessary.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 11 Oct 2018 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 9

Transporting a tiered cake can be stressful but I have delivered many w/o problems :)  It depends on the size and style.  The larger the base cake w/a small one on top should not be a problem even for a novice with knowing a few guidelines.

1) cake must be placed on a flat surface - like in the trunk or on the floor of a van type vehicle.  DO NOT under any cercomstances let someone hold it!  2) you drive lik a 'little old lady' :)  Take turns and stops as gentlely & slow as possible.  Advoid potholes :)  3) the car is kept cold......of course depends on the weather where you are.  I've even put on a heavy coat and gloves keeping the AC up as hight as possible for longer trips:)    As a general rule something like mousse can be UNfrig'd 4-5 hours.  As for how long to let it come to room temp, as cake is best served, it depends on the size of the cake but generally just an hr or 2 should do it.

Size and design when transporting tiered cake:  a safe configuration is at least 4" difference between the tiers.  Example:  12" round bottom tier topped with a 9" and maybe even a 6" on top of that probably could be a very safe combination for delivery -- IF it is doweled well and properly.  You could possibly ask for them to dowel, then put each in a box and put the cake together yourself.    Oh and that 12" should be on a base that is at least 14"-16" round.  Remember the bigger the base the better. 

You mention maybe putting tieres together yourself - do you know how & what to use to dowel?  Have you ever done anything like that?    So what size/design are you considering?  How may people do you need to serve? 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2018 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 9

mousse has to stay cold all the time till right before it is served -- not air conditioning cold -- refrigerator cold -- because it could make people sick otherwise -- 

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Oct 2018 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 9

I stand corrected!  Thank you Lynne and Kate for that info and I apologize.  I was not aware that mousse required constant refrigeration.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Oct 2018 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 9

no worries

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 12:41am
post #7 of 9

Good thing I don't use mousse!  I may have killed someone, probably myself!

-K8memphis Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 1:23pm
post #8 of 9

i didn't mean to blind side you with my reply, sandra -- i didn't re-read all the entries before i posted -- i made a peanut butter mousses once and i was shocked at how fast it went off -- and that was before my servsafe days so -- but i had been doing cakes for many more years than you have and i didn't know either -- yeah and truthfully that cake would travel fine and appear to be fine throughout  a day like was described  -- and we've all served and eaten mousse and cheesecake after the safe to serve times and "no one died" but when we are serving a crowd we are catering -- and so the safety issues arise mostly for babies, you can picture a mom giving a baby a little scoop of icing on her fingertip -- and for seniors and those with issues already like crohns and any infirmity -- especially the issues you can't see -- most people have no idea i fight rheumatoid because i have been fighting a long time and i am a good actress -- i am also gaining some good ground in my battle with this wonderful supplement, msm -- but i digress --

anyhoo -- best to all purple_heart

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Oct 2018 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 9

Oh, I wouldn't call it blind sided, Kate!  More like a valuable lesson!  Like I said, I have never used mousse and I think I was confusing it with whipped ganache.  I do have every intention of trying it, however, so I am very happy to know that it should be refrigerated.  I know you all have heard me say before, I always keep my cakes in the refrigerator, regardless of ingredients or type of cake, even the ones made with butter.  With the cakes made with butter, I do just as you recommended, a few seconds in the microwave and they are as light and fluffy as can be.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%