Left Over Egg Yolks

Baking By Nanas.sweet.treats Updated 12 Oct 2018 , 9:00pm by SandraSmiley

Nanas.sweet.treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nanas.sweet.treats Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 8

What do you guys do with your left over egg yolks when you have a large cake that requires only egg whites? I would hate to let 1 1/2 dozen of egg yolks go to waste. 

7 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 8

You can freeze them, Nanas.sweet.treats.  I lightly grease a plastic ice tray and put one yolk in each ice compartment and freeze them.  Once frozen, I turn them out of the tray into a Ziploc bag and return to the freezer.  Easy to remove one at a time for later use.

SandraSmiley Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 11:53pm
post #3 of 8

Another thought - sometimes when a recipe calls for six egg whites, I use three whole eggs instead.  The color is slightly more yellow, but it works fine, unless you need a super white cake.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 11 Oct 2018 , 3:42pm
post #4 of 8

I recalled a forum post from the past and looked it up....jeez is it really from 2008???  It has some egg yolk suggestions.

https://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/582358/what-to-do-with-egg-yolks

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 11 Oct 2018 , 4:15pm
post #5 of 8

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 16 hours ago

You can freeze them, Nanas.sweet.treats.  I lightly grease a plastic ice tray and put one yolk in each ice compartment and freeze them.  Once frozen, I turn them out of the tray into a Ziploc bag and return to the freezer.  Easy to remove one at a time for later use.

So you just freeze the egg yolk as is?  I didn't know you could do that?  I thought freezing them by themselves causes them to become too gelatinous for use.  So I usually mix my egg yolks with some sugar so I can use them later to make creme brulee or ice cream.  But if freezing individually works just fine then I may start doing that.

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2018 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 8

Freckles0829, I have had no problems just freezing them by themselves.  It does change the texture a bit, make them thicker (I guess gelatinous would be a good description), but they work just fine in baked goods.  That is the only way I've used them.  I didn't know any better, and you know how they say ignorance is bliss.

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 12 Oct 2018 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 8

I usually end up making lemon curd or homemade mayonnaise. Or giving them to my dog. 

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Oct 2018 , 9:00pm
post #8 of 8

Banana pudding and chess pie as my "go to" choices for extra egg yolks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%