Cake Carving, Using Knives Or ?

Decorating By owais99 Updated 10 Oct 2018 , 4:07pm by SandraSmiley

owais99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
owais99 Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 4:25am
post #1 of 6

Hi Experts, 

I was looking at ideas on how to carve the cakes and found that its done using knives. I just wanted to know if knife is still by far the best option or is there any other tool out which can do a better job? Why i am asking this is because i saw lots of videos and posts about icing using icing bags and such but then i found out about the airpen which produces really find quality icing for decorating.

So i was just curious if there is any tool out there that can help carve out shapes easily and finely?

5 replies
bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 9:34am
post #2 of 6

Serrated knife will do the job well...… if it ain't broke no need to fix it ;-) 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 11:55am
post #3 of 6

piping bags and airpens are what you use to decorate not carve -- not understanding your correlation -- putting fine detail into carving the cake part will likely get lost because you have to ice it and maybe cover it with a rolled icing so you put the fine detail into the icing or covering -- there's a set of carving tools you can get if you want -- like bubs said, serrated knife works great but i think you mean these?

https://www.target.com/p/cake-boss-10-piece-decorating-tools-fondant-and-gum-paste-decorating-tool-kit/-/A-14876138

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 12:28pm
post #4 of 6

I see what you are saying...you're just giving an example in the 'airpen' where you found a new product over piping bags and are now wondering if there is a better tool than a knife for carving like there is a better tool for piping bags, the airpen.

So....piping bag to air pen is the same as carving knife to _______?

I'd still say knife, that's what I use!  I also try to bake the cake in as close a pan to what I want in the end.  ie.  if you need a cylinder shape, bake in a soup can etc...

However, now I want to figure out what an airpen is, never heard of that! :)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 1:08pm
post #5 of 6

ohhhh -- now i see -- thank you, weluvpiggies --

is airpen maybe the same as airbrush?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 6

Definitely a knife.  I use both plain blade and serrated.  For details, I use a paring knife with a plain blade.  As -K8memphis said, you don't need fine detail when carving a cake.  The details are added to your final covering of fondant or modeling chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%