Have You Ever Rented A Commercial Kitchen?

Business By kaybray3 Updated 10 Oct 2018 , 1:28pm by SummerBakes88

kaybray3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaybray3 Posted 9 Oct 2018 , 9:21pm
post #1 of 3

I am interested in reaching out to my local restaurants to ask if they would be interested in renting their kitchen to me so that I can bake. I would use my own equipment, just need ovens mainly and I would be sure to do it only during their off hours as to not interrupt their business. Since I work FT, I am looking to rent 2-3 times per month. Do any of you have any experience in this? Are there any specific questions I should make sure I ask and are there any red flags I should watch for? Thanks!

2 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 9 Oct 2018 , 10:11pm
post #2 of 3

yes i have -- like 40+ years ago -- but the biggest dealio to me is how solvent the place is -- 

since then the one i day dreamed about :
there was this stunning bread shop here in elvistown -- in the right neighborhood -- on a busy street -- artisan breads -- they did sandwiches too -- but i always admired it so much and wondered what kind of answer i would get if i ever asked them if i could do & sell cakes from there -- but i always wondered how i could check their books although they certainly looked most successful -- but i day dreamed and i thought what if they went under and my stuff was in there and they got padlocked for whatever reason -- so i never bit on it -- and not very long after they went out of business -- there's no money in bread  and i knew that -- but that could happen at any place -- 

but other than that -- you'll want a place to keep your equipment locked up -- you need a not steamy hot place and time to final ice and decorate -- you need room in the fridge to store ingredients and your final product -- there are many people in these places so anyone could get into your pie -- it would need to be clearly worked out in advance --

it can work -- but those are the things i thought of when i was going to do it again -- the first time i borrowed a school kitchen and i don't think they charged me anything and it didn't last long -- that was so long ago -- a different world back then --

SummerBakes88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SummerBakes88 Posted 10 Oct 2018 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 3

When I was looking to rent space I contacted a few food truck business and caterers because they often had a commercial kitchen space that they either owned or rented from!

That being said I was lucky and in my town we had a kitchen coop that rented space hourly and in packages. Do you have any rec centres in your area that have a licensed space maybe?! Not sure. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%