Suggestion On Cake And Buttercream Flavors

Baking By ssil Updated 8 Oct 2018 , 12:36pm by Freckles0829

ssil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssil Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 11:34pm
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I am planning to bake a cake for a friend’s daughter’s birthday and want to decorate it like unicorn.

I feel unicorn decorations look good when the cake is covered with white frosting. And I do not want to bake a simple vanilla cake.

Do you all have any suggestions on what cake and frosting flavors go well together, given I prefer the frosting to be white.

(I wanted to bake a chocolate cake, but I am not sure what type of white frosting goes well with a chocolate cake). 

PS: I am new to cakes and any help is really appreciated. thanks in advance.

3 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 4

You can use any kind of white frosting with chocolate cake, in fact, it helps to lighten it up a bit.  It will be necessary to use a good amount of frosting, though, so the dark cake will not show through the white frosting.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 4

I hit submit too quickly.  You could also make a black unicorn using chocolate frosting with black color added.  I've seen several with a gold horn and colorful mane.  Beautiful.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 8 Oct 2018 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 4

A basic buttercream goes wonderfully with chocolate cake.  You could also do a fudgey ganache filling but then use a white buttercream for the outside if you wanted to pump up the chocolate flavor.  I also love Sandra's idea of making a black unicorn with chocolate frosting.  The colors in the mane will really pop!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%