Fondant Help

Decorating By kristykgs Updated 7 Oct 2018 , 11:04pm by SandraSmiley

kristykgs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristykgs Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 1:57am
post #1 of 9

The last 2 weeks my fondant cakes have been not acting right. They are sliding, cracking after decorations are on and just don't look as good the next day as they did the day before. Here is the details:

day 1 - Bake/freeze

Day 2 - defrost, torte, fill, crumb coat then fridge, then final coat

Day 3 - out of the fridge - fondant covered  cake does not go back in the fridge

Day 4 - add decorations

I've been using The Mat - new with the last 2 cakes - As soon as I put the fondant on the cake it becomes tacky so I have to coat in Powdered sugar to be able to smooth

Another thought - I've also used the acrylic disc the last 2 cakes and been using the .50, so I could be using too much buttercream under fondant.

But what I am puzzled about is why do they look okay on day 3, but as soon as I place the decorations on the side and top, it begins to crack. Like it is getting to dry as it sits out. 

About to pull my hair out trying to find answers.

8 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 3:48am
post #2 of 9

If it has been as humid where you are as it has here, that could be your problem.  I've completely given up on leaving cakes at room temperature, no matter what they are made of.  I slap that fondant on the cake and right back into the fridge it goes or sometimes I add the decorations right away.  The exception is gum paste flowers or models.  They go on after the cake has been removed from the refrigerator for the last time.

kristykgs Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 11:46am
post #3 of 9

I am always worried about the colors bleeding, that is why I don't refrigerate. But yes, very humid here ALWAYS in Louisiana

kristykgs Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 11:46am
post #4 of 9

I am always worried about the colors bleeding, that is why I don't refrigerate. But yes, very humid here ALWAYS in Louisiana

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 12:44pm
post #5 of 9

I don't have a ton of experience putting fondant cakes in the fridge because I only do fondant when necessary.  I did refrigerate this cake, though, and it has black fondant on white and pale blue, and it didn't even attempt to bleed.

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 9

Sorry, wrong button.Fondant Help

kristykgs Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 2:08pm
post #7 of 9

Great News. Thank you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 9

Quote by @SandraSmiley on 14 hours ago

If it has been as humid where you are as it has here, that could be your problem.  I've completely given up on leaving cakes at room temperature, no matter what they are made of.  I slap that fondant on the cake and right back into the fridge it goes or sometimes I add the decorations right away.  The exception is gum paste flowers or models.  They go on after the cake has been removed from the refrigerator for the last time.

100% agree with you -- including the dewpoint over 70 for the swamp effect hahahaha and that's why using climate controlled boxes is a no worries delivery too -- the last cake is was gonna deliver unboxed -- right before i was gonna walk out the door with it -- it rained like noah was gonna be floating by -- dude, the steam poured off the buildings like a sauna -- srsly kid you not -- never really saw  steam quite like that -- had to stop and make a dang box -- boxes are just an always thing now -- 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 11:04pm
post #9 of 9

Agreed, -K8memphis.  Unless it is the dead of winter, and maybe even then, I will be using the portable cooler for transporting cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%