Business Arrangement With Real Estate Agent?

Business By HajraK Updated 8 Oct 2018 , 5:40pm by inthekitchen2

HajraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HajraK Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 3:49am
post #1 of 14

Hi everyone,

i know a thread was made some years back on this but I couldn’t really come to a conclusion based on some old posts, so I thought I’d bring it up again

13 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 12:22pm
post #2 of 14

need more information -- what kind of arrangement? what for what?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 1:44pm
post #3 of 14

Ditto what Kate said!  What do you want to know?

HajraK Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 2:14pm
post #4 of 14

Sorry guys. Seems like my original post got cut off after the first sentence. So basically I was approached by a real estate agent yesterday asking if I’d be interested in providing her with custom cookies at a discounted price. She’d place these cookies at her open houses or as part of closing gifts for clients or in little bags she places on people’s doors. She’s also new, about one year, in her business and thought it could be good for marketing for both of us. On a past post it seemed like most bakers weren’t in favor of doing this for open houses because it never brought in new business. But does it really even work as closing gifts? This agent does closings both near and pretty far to where I live so I don’t know how beneficial it would be for me - I highly doubt her clients would make a long drive for baked goods from a home baker. I don’t want to set myself up for failure but at the same time I am open to different ways of getting new business. Thoughts? 

-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 4:07pm
post #5 of 14

it's a great idea but no discount -- sell her all she wants -- 

-K8memphis Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 14

"custom cookies" at a discount -- she may not be intentionally doing this -- but she is playing you -- oh no never never never -- could she get you a discount on buying a house? ummm no -- no ugh ugh 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 5:58pm
post #7 of 14

I agree with -K8memphis 100%.  She lost me at the word discount!  Your custom cookies take tons of time to make and would be a delightful gift, but it would be the realtor who got the appreciation, not you.  Like Kate said, sell her all she wants, but at your regular going rate.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 14

For me, it would be a no on the discount. Even though I can buy in bulk, I can't discount my time. When we closed on our house, our agent gave us an assorted box of cookies from a bakery, my husband ate one, but we never thought about placing a personal order from that bakery. I'm not sure how well this would work in your favor.

HajraK Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 1:31am
post #9 of 14

Thanks for the comments everyone. I agree with you all 100%..I am also skeptical as to how much new business it would actually bring in. I think if I meet with her again I’ll let her know that I’ll just sell the products to her for my usual price and she can do what she wants with them.

-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 11:32am
post #10 of 14

+1

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 8:30pm
post #11 of 14

One thing I would be concerned about is how long she might keep those cookies before placing them on doors, etc.  Stale cookies will not help you in any way. 

-K8memphis Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 14

good one, lynnie 

HajraK Posted 7 Oct 2018 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 14

That is true kakeladi! I’ll wait until she contacts me again and see what she proposes

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 8 Oct 2018 , 5:40pm
post #14 of 14

I provided some to a realtor for a closing gift. She posted it on her social media pages with the family holding them, etc. I noticed when people (other relators) asked where she got them, she didn't reply.... I assume she didn't see their post, or maybe replied in person? Anyway, no discount, I charged her full price. I haven't got any more business out of it that I know of from anyone else, BUT I have gotten repeated business from her and she does recommend me as I've had a few inquiries where they mention her name as their referral. I would do them full price and if other relators see the pics, they may decide to order too. If you are still considering a discount, I would state it is only for X period or amount, and you'll re-evaluate after that. Then just say it's not profitable for you if that's the case. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%