What Do You Prefer? Homemade Or Pre-Made Fondant?

Decorating By Kelsey182930 Updated 6 Oct 2018 , 11:08pm by maybenot

Kelsey182930 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelsey182930 Posted 5 Oct 2018 , 10:13pm
post #1 of 5

So I don't do a lot of fondant work because it honestly intimidates me, but I would like to get more into it. Is their a certain brand you love working with or do you prefer homemade fondant? 

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 12:12am
post #2 of 5

I make my own all the time because I am a hobby baker and it is much, much less expensive and tastes much better than ready made brands.  You should not intimidated, Kelsey.  It was much easier for me to learn to cover a cake in fondant than it was to get a nice straight, smooth finish on buttercream.  Everything has a learning curve, but it is not very difficult.

http://artisancakecompany.com/recipe/the-best-marshmallow-fondant-recipe-ever/

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 12:16am
post #3 of 5

There are plenty of good pre-made fondants to choose from, and I honestly  don't have time to make it along with everything else. And, the few recipes I've tried, didn't impress me. Mostly had to do with the smell for some reason. Just didn't appeal to me.

My personal favorites are Carma Massa Ticino, Renshaw, Fondx for it's color choices, and I've had really good luck with Fat Daddio's.  I do not like Wilton (but it's cheap for dummy cakes), Satin Ice or Fondarific. 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 12:20am
post #4 of 5

Oh, I forgot to say, if I want black or red fondant, I generally buy it because it is such a mess to color at home.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 6 Oct 2018 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @rychevamp on 22 hours ago

There are plenty of good pre-made fondants to choose from, and I honestly  don't have time to make it along with everything else. And, the few recipes I've tried, didn't impress me. Mostly had to do with the smell for some reason. Just didn't appeal to me.

My personal favorites are Carma Massa Ticino, Renshaw, Fondx for it's color choices, and I've had really good luck with Fat Daddio's.  I do not like Wilton (but it's cheap for dummy cakes), Satin Ice or Fondarific. 

^^^^^^This.

All depends on what value you put on your time and the cost of your supplies.    Personally, I hate the mess and potential inconsistency of homemade, so it's never been worth it to me.  I've used all of the above and find that my preference is a mixture of Wilton with Satin Ice or Fondarific.  I can get all 2 with coupons, so cost is low and shelf life long.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%